Attachment Surgery

Jessica had woken up at 5 am that morning to see her bed in the hospital wing completely cornered off by teal curtains, and when her little murmurs caught Madam Pomfrey's attention, she alerted both Snape and Dumbledore immediately. Apparently, no one had been allowed either in or out of her bedside except the two since the attack, and Dumbledore had requested only he and Snape be notified of Jessica's immediate wake.

They had rushed to her bedside, Dumbledore's purple bejewelled nightgown just as extravagant as his day robes, and asked her to tell them everything that had happened. She told them everything from the moment she stepped outside the pub, slightly lying about why she had been at the Hogs Head in the first place and what she had been doing beforehand. She said they had all been there trying to blag a drink, which was hardly as abnormal as starting a student army.

Once she had finished, neither of them said anything. The only thing Dumbledore could manage was to tell her that she hadn't been asleep for a day, but instead for two weeks. The shock of it almost sent her back into a coma.

"I think it's time we change direction Headmaster," said Snape. The little colour he had in his face had drained entirely and he was essentially a living piece of chalk with long matted black hair. "We know what this means."

"Yes unfortunately I agree," Dumbledore told Snape quietly, patting Jessica on the leg subconsciously, "this could very well be the work of him."

"Of who?" Jessica asked whilst propping herself up on her cushions to sit up straight. She was still wearing the grey roll neck she had been wearing in Hogsmeade, and it was catching on her back. "Who do you think sent those men after me?"

Dumbledore sighed, looking down at the floor in deep thought. No one had been admitted that night, so they were able to talk freely. "Our suspicion given your description, though we don't know how accurate, is that they were a few of Voldemort's followers. And if they wanted your necklace, we may be right to assume that he was the person you have yet to see in your vision with your aunt."

"Voldermort?" Jessica spluttered, looking at them both wide-eyed, "but what would he want with me? With the necklace? He's after Harry isn't he?"

"He may want to look to the future, to see how he could be defeated," said Snape, "he's obsessed with success, and he will do anything for power."

Dumbledore nodded. "Jessica, do you now understand why Severus had to come and get you when you went out of grounds? Imagine if this had happened then, we could've had two casualties and the power of your necklace would've been exposed. We need your help to protect people, not put more of them in danger."

Jessica let out a big breath. She had to admit he was talking sense, and her vision before the attack had already put doubts in her head. This was something she never thought she'd have to do, she always thought she could maintain the balance.

"What do you want me to do?" she asked, lifting the hair off of her neck to allow air to it. She was becoming quite feverish.

"I think you know what you need to do," said Dumbledore meaningfully, "It has become far too risky. We can not risk Harry getting prematurely closer to those who want him, and you are just one more draw. We can protect you separately, but not together."

"I assume you mean the others as well then," Jessica asked, not really wanting the answer.

"Unfortunately, yes," said Dumbledore, "knowing these people they will kill anyone to get to you. It will even be a bonus for them if one of those people in their way are those who they deem 'less worthy'."

"Blood traitors and Mudbloods you mean," Jessica said sarcastically.

"Exactly," Snape replied with little detest, "will you be able to handle it or shall I do it for you?"