The Battle Of The Bludgers

Listening Aid:

"And now for the last Quidditch game of the term...Slytherin versus Gryffindor!"

Lee's announcement was followed by an astonishingly loud cheer from the stands. Hands were clapping, mouths were whistling, and shoes were banging on the floorboards above the waiting room ceilings. Jessica stood there near the entry gates, ready and waiting to go, and she was just in the middle of clumping her hair into a tight high ponytail when a huge chant for Gryffindor erupted from the stadium above.

"I didn't see you come in last night," Adrian said as he appeared at her side. 'Fly, Fly, Gryffindor' chants circled around them at a growing loudness, and the noise thundered through her body like she was standing next to a speaker at a music concert.

Jessica didn't look at him. She wouldn't admit it to Adrian's face but last night had stirred her thoughts. He had been defending her when he punched George, she should've been happy. So why did it feel like he had given her a blow to the stomach instead?

"I was tired," she answered, "I wanted to be rested before today. We need to be on top form."

"Anything further happen with Weasley?" Adrian asked immediately.

Jessica pulled her ponytail tighter and looked down at her Quidditch robes to find something to fiddle with. "Well he was pissed off," she huffed casually, "but nothing I couldn't handle. You can thank me by the way. He'll be wanting to get you back today as he couldn't last night. Easy foul on their side if he hurts you."

She had not planned this, she had actually been saving Adrian's arse from Fred's anger, but it didn't hurt him to think she had done it for this reason.

Adrian gazed at her in amazement. "It's like looking at a female version of me," he said and he kissed her on the cheek before walking away to put on his handguards.

Jessica breathed in the fresh-cut grass smell that was sneaking its way through the wooden gates and exhaled out the anxiety. She had never been this nervous before for a game.

"You know you don't have to stick to the rules today if you want to let some anger out," said Draco as he joined her, also ready to go, "I'll fly with you if you need back up."

She snapped out of her daze and smiled at him. "Thanks, but I think us winning will hurt more than any bludger could do."

"Wouldn't be too sure," Draco told her wisely, "Don't underestimate their annoying spirit. Oh, that reminds me, saw Lovegood this morning, I suppose you're still sticking to the old quills then?"

"Yeah," Jessica answered, unsure of why he was asking such an obvious question, "that's what we're meant to do."

"Well no, we're actually allowed to be creative," Draco laughed and Jessica's eyes narrowed at his sudden enthusiasm, "quills are starting to get boring. Potter is the prime example, people have become numb to it. We need to make sure the message still sinks in."

"What do you mean by creative?" Jessica asked curiously, her fear of his answer not stopping her from enquiring.

"Oh come on Jess," he whispered to her in a chummy manner as he bent down to her level, "you're telling me you never wanted to go further? A little long-wearing jinx when they give you trouble...one or two curses here and there when you catch Freddie with-"