Railway Tracks

"I told you we were going to be late!"

"Molly calm down we're running perfectly on time, Remus and Alastor, are you okay with your groups?"

"Yes but I'm missing most of mine- SIRIUS NO YOU'RE NOT COMING!"

It had been the most frantic morning at Grimmauld place to date. All the planning in the world couldn't have prevented the stress that came with getting seven kids ready to go to school on their first day back. Jessica had woken up early, having hardly slept at all, and was currently packing the final additions in her trunk whilst listening to the ruckus outside her door. Mr Weasley had lent her an old trunk of theirs, another gesture of kindness that Jessica hoped one day to repay. It was a bit tattered and scratched in places, and the handle was broken off, but it held everything just fine. Next were her school books (which she smiled at as she placed them in), then her night and weekend clothes, and then finally her new Hogwarts robes.

She pulled her ponytail tighter to signify a job well done and then pulled down the lid to secure the trunk with the two leather latches. That was everything packed...except for one last thing. Jessica stood up from her knees and walked over to her bed, a large crash being heard from a couple of rooms down. She picked up the red and gold striped tie that had been lying on top of her duvet and lifted it to her nose to smell the memories of last night. The smell of smoke, of cinnamon, of Fred...of the moment his lips had touched hers. It was a comforter, a little bit of Grimmauld place that she could bring with her.

"What are we waiting for? Let's get a move on!" Moody shouted up the stairs from below.

It's just a tie she tried to tell herself, and she rolled it up and slid it into her coat pocket. She bent down and grabbed her trunk with both hands, struggling to lift it with the intent of carrying it downstairs. Suddenly she wished she was allowed to do magic in front of others - this would be far easier to do with a spell.

"Do you need a hand with that?" someone asked behind her.

Jessica looked up as she managed to secure the trunk in her arms. George was standing in the doorframe smiling at her struggle. He was wearing a green hand-knitted jumper, a present that she knew had come from Mrs Weasley last Christmas.

"No, I'm fine, thanks though," she replied, wincing as the corner of the trunk dug into her chest.

George tutted and crossed his arms, leaning to his left side on her doorframe, "Okay then, let's see you take a step forward."

Jessica pulled herself together as best as she could and gripped the trunk extra tight. Taking a leap of faith, her right foot reached out, and she had to crush the instinct to breathe out of relief when her left foot joined her.

"See," Jessica said confidently in the hope that George hadn't seen her legs shaking, " I can handle it."

George's eyebrows raised in praise, "Fred is so right about you."

Jessica hesitated at the mention of Fred's name and remembered that George had known that he was in her room last night. Had he known that they had kissed? Would Fred have told him?

"I mean you're probably correct but what am I right about?" Fred said as he apparated to George's side. His light brown denim jacket complimented his auburn hair, and it made him look like the embodiment of the Autumn season beginning outside. This was the first time Jessica had seen him since last night as she had skipped breakfast, and butterflies rose in her stomach.

"She's stubborn," George told him, "she'd rather injure herself than admit she needs help."

Her cheeks blushed as Fred looked at her in the same way George was, crossing his arms and leaning against the doorframe. She felt her fingers get sweaty and the trunk started slipping from her grip. Flashbacks of gripping his shirt fluttered in her mind.