The Letters Of Pursuit

Considering how the Christmas break had started, Jessica's last day of it was rather enjoyable in comparison. She had a lot more visitors than usual, with about half of Grimmauld Place knocking on her door when the rest of the Order wasn't looking.

First was Molly and Arthur who came in at 10 am with some fresh biscuits and questions about calculators respectively, then Kreacher knocked in at around lunchtime to ask if he could dust all of her new jewellery as a treat, at 2 o'clock Bill apparated in, carrying a small number of gold galleons that he had taken out of her aunt's vault for her, and then finally, Ginny came running in late in the afternoon hoping to discuss a relationship issue she was having with her boyfriend Michael Corner.

Jessica tried to tell her that she probably wasn't the best person to come to for advice, but all Ginny really just wanted was for someone to listen to her that wasn't her brother.

Her last visit of the day was from Tonks, who came into her room whilst the others were having dinner. Jessica had already finished her Shepherd's Pie by then and was feeling a bit restless with the anticipation of going back to Hogwarts, so Tonks suggested that they have some fun. She took Jessica up to the attic and taught her a few jinx's that could come in handy when dealing with Umbridge, which was a bit dangerous considering Jessica had already changed into a blue silk nightdress that left most of her skin exposed, but luckily she didn't get hurt.

After a bit of running around, Jessica asked if she knew any spells that could create pretend scars on people, and surprisingly, Tonks did, so she taught them to her for Jessica to use on Neville and Luna when saving them from detention. After Ginny's admission, Jessica couldn't have her plan being given away by Neville having no markings on him at all.

By the time Jessica got back to her room, she was exhausted. Being in isolation had made her forget how tiring it was being around people all day. It was a good tired of course, but draining, and now she really just wanted to go to bed and sleep the hours away.

She opened the door to her bedroom with little strength and went to stumble in, but she stopped in the doorway after seeing that somebody was already sat on her bed. It was Fred, dressed in the same black jumper he had been wearing all day when playing quidditch with the boys, and from the noise she could hear from downstairs, he had come up much earlier than everyone else.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked, trying to hide her nervousness. After days of being ignored, she was finally going to get answers, but now she was finding herself not really wanting any. When she was tired she was never any good at putting the right words together and one wrong word would tick him off.

Fred was staring at the floor, avoiding meeting her eyes, and from his front pocket he pulled out the Polaroid image they had taken at Trafalgar Square. "I came to give you this," he said dully as he held it out to her, his eyes glazing over in thought, "I did the gemino charm on it so that you had a copy too. Thought you might have appreciated a delivery in person."

He was acting a little weird, almost upset to be there, so Jessica reached out to take it from him tentatively. As she was about to hold it, Fred flicked it onto the bed with little care, causing the mild smile on her face to vanish.

"Are you okay?" Jessica asked him, picking up on the fact that he clearly wasn't.

Fred pouted tactlessly and finally looked up at her with piercing eyes whilst he reached into his back pocket. Jessica was a little uncomfortable meeting his sight as he was obviously angry about something to be this quiet, Fred Weasley was never quiet.

He did not remove eye contact with her as he drew out a large stack of parchments folded over in size. As she looked downwards at his hand, Jessica recognised the parchment immediately and her heart started beating faster out of anxiousness. She side-eyed her pillow, and unfortunately, as it was emptied, her hunch was correct.