The Golden Girl - Part One

They say history repeats itself, and Jessica was praying that it was not going to be the case this time.

She trusted Pansy and Theo that night to hold her future in their hands, and in their opinion, she couldn't have been in better company. Pansy had already made her over once before, and though she was still wary of her intentions, Jessica was aware that this was different from the last time. This was not a quick fix. This was not for a guy, no matter how it might have come about. This was not for anyone but herself.

This was a rebirth.

George's words had sealed it to her more than Fred's actions had. They wanted nothing to do with her anymore, not her friendship, not her protection, nothing. They couldn't have made it any clearer. So that night, after crying tears that learned overtime to hold back, Jessica decided that she was finally going to put herself first.

The next day was Saturday, and under special new privileges granted by Umbridge which meant all Inquisitorial Squad members were now allowed to leave the grounds on weekends, Theo and Pansy took her to Diagon Alley. It was a day spent shopping, pampering, and in Pansy's words... "a pure-blood education", which was a title that Theo cringed at behind her back.

Jessica didn't have to spend a thing, as the other two were more than happy to splash the cash. She had never seen the pair of them so excited about something that wasn't negatively affecting someone else, and she was glad that for once they were working together instead of fighting. She wondered if this was the only way they knew to hang out, with them competing over who could buy the nicest things, but she had to remind herself that this was simply how they were.

She was now living in their world.

Though being away from the castle and all its inhabitants was a nice break from her mind, it was too risky to be seen by any Order members that she didn't want to bump into, so she was happy when they used the Floo Powder system in Borgin and Burke's to return back to Hogwarts.

By the time they got back into the Slytherin common room half of the house didn't even recognise her. Blaise had to a double-take and Goyle even asked if she was new. Draco looked her up and down from his armchair, resting to one side with his hand covering his mouth.

Her hair was permanently curled in ringlets (finished with a green bow clipped in at the back) using a special potion that meant it never got out of place, and she had it dyed black with warm-toned highlights that made it look like melted chocolate when she spun around. Pansy had dressed her almost like her identical twin, and though she opted for the longer and tight-fitting skirts herself, Jessica chose a short pleated skirt which she paired with custom-designed black knee-high socks that bore a small Slytherin crest pin at the top. That felt more her. She was also taller due to her feet being 3-inch heels with a single strap, and her face was new and improved courtesy of Pansy's recommendations of make-up. The final addition was accessories, and the necklace was no longer the most glistening thing about her when the pair delivered their final gift.

"An early birthday present," Theo told her as he placed a black velvet box into her hand. It was now just the fifth years by the sofas, and they were all sat facing Jessica. It confused her as Theo had already bought her a dark blue writing journal that he gave to her in private, but by the looks of everyone around her, it seemed like they had all chipped in. Something she wasn't expecting. She opened the box and sparkles shone out of it as soon as the clasp was undone. For a second she thought it was going to be a ring, like the one they all had, but to her delight, it was something even better.

A pair of emerald earrings shaped like butterflies were in the box, and the clarity and sharpness told her they were the most expensive things she had ever held.  They instantly reminded her of the most beautiful creatures she had ever seen...the fireflies in the Hogsmeade forest.