12

HEARTACHES AND CRUSHES were full of insanity. One day you would like someone who would be most unfortunate to not like you back, and it would hurt. Not always someone repays that love. That's where things go wrong. This is what Siobhán Parten thought when she saw Marlene Mckinnon sitting on the stairs crying her heart out. She had confessed to a Slytherin boy. Marlene wouldn't say his name, which was rather strange to Siobhán.

Alice Fortescue and Mary Mcdonald were comforting her by rubbing circles on her back. Alice kept looking at Siobhán with a worried look. All the girl could do was give her a look of sympathy.

"I just can't believe he rejected me so harshly." she wailed. Mary sighed and hugged her tightly.

"It's alright Mars," she whispered. Marlene started crying even harder as Mary whispered comforting words.

"He's so tall and handsome and so perfect." she sniffed through her sentences. "He told me that he isn't looking for a relationship right now."

She buried her face into her hands. Tears started falling on the stone-tiled stairs and Siobhán observed them. They dripped down one by one. She hadn't cried in what seemed like years, but it was probably just a couple of months.

"The thing is that he was looking at someone else while rejecting me." Marlene put her hands against the edge of the stair she was sitting on. She glanced at Siobhán who was zoned out.

"Maybe it's because I'm a half-blood and he's a pureblood," she mumbled. Alice gave her a harsh look before kneeling in front of her.

"Marlene Mckinnon. That's most certainly not the reason." she squeezed her hand affectionately. "He's just missing out on the good."

She sighed and backed away from Marlene. She wiped her tears and stood up. Siobhán stood next to Mary who was still looking at her with sympathy.

"You're right Alice." she ran a hand through her hair. "He's missing out on me."

Siobhán nodded her head along with Mary. The thing that twisted her was that which Slytherin rejected her. She knew she shouldn't ask. It would be rude of her. Yet, it still puzzled her. Something about the way Marlene described the Slytherin reminded her of Leonardo.

"Let's get to class." Marlene started walking away with confidence in her step. Mary and Siobhán glanced at each other confused.

As the quartet went into the Transfiguration classroom Marlene halted. The three other girls glanced at her. She was gazing at someone with an upset expression. Siobhán followed her gaze and saw that she was looking directly at Leonardo Nott. She wanted to mentally run over herself as she realized that he was the Slytherin she was talking about. 

"Mars?" Mary tapped her shoulder. Marlene shoved her arm away and started to walk to her seat.

"What was that about?" Alice asked the two other girls. Siobhán huffed out a sigh. Grabbing the bridge of her nose, she faced the two girls.

"I think I know who rejected her." Alice and Mary quirked their eyebrow at her statement.

"Who?" they said in unison. She glanced back at where Leonardo was sitting. The two other girls followed her gaze. Their eyes widened as they realized who he was.

"Him?!" Alice burst out. She slyly watched the boy from afar.

"Yes, that's Leonardo Nott," Siobhán said while still observing him. "He's a pureblood who's also my friend."

Alice and Mary's mouths were agape. The two looked at each other and then grabbed Siobhán's shirt. She yelped at the force. Quickly covering her mouth, she leaned against the wall.