39

MOMENTUM, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL thing. When the breeze whips your hair, clothes batter against the skin, and the world feels free. At some point, Regulus Black thought he could be free. Deception; it's despicable. When you put your trust in someone, and in the end, they betray you. They tell the world your secrets, making you feel vulnerable. Regulus felt helpless like he did something wrong. Being a death eater seemed wrong, but he was in it for the right cause. He was no monster. It was to save the wizarding world from a terrible war.

Regulus Black was sitting on the floor, hands on his knees. He had hidden here since yesterday, not wanting to face confrontation. Siobhán wanted to help, but it seemed like she made things worse. He wasn't sure if he could forgive her, at least not now. He heaved out a sigh, millions of thoughts passing through him. Regulus flinched at the sound of a knock. It came from the door. He ran a hand through his hair, preparing himself.

"Come in!" he shouted. The door opened to reveal Siobhán Parten, face guilty. He stood up from the floor. Regulus hadn't expected to greet her in his state, but she came unannounced. No man would know about unexpected guests unless someone comes forth and tells.

"Regulus." she clasped her hands, walking towards him. He panicked at the closeness. Regulus didn't want her close; it was too soon. He put his hand up, halting her from getting closer.

"Is there something I can do for you?" he asked, trying to ease the tension. Siobhán hesitated, her breath hitching. "After yesterday, I don't think I can exactly do much."

She smiled, shaking her head. "I wanted to apologize for my inconvenience. Yesterday, it was wrong of me to invalidate how you felt. I took those measures because you wouldn't talk to me, and I was desperate. Please forgive me; I just wanted you back."

Regulus let out a shaky breath. "I'm not so sure I can forgive you." Siobhán frowned. "You went into leagues far too severe for me to consider forgiveness. My brother is a sensitive topic for me; you know that."

"Reggie, please understand that I messed up." her tone desperate. "I'm trying to make things better, but I can't. I know I made a mistake. Just let me prove myself to you, I beg you."

"How am I supposed to trust you?" he muttered. "My brother could expose me. I would get sent to Azkaban. I certainly don't want that." Siobhán stepped forward, making Regulus step back. He didn't want her touch of comfort. "It was your idea, wasn't it?"

She gulped, her muscles tensing. "Yes, but I had my reasons. You already know about them, but you must understand I was only trying to do good."

"My brother and I won't get along. I thought you already knew that, and I was a careless fool to believe you wouldn't use that against me when I'm most vulnerable." Regulus spewed words, not glancing at her. She cowered back towards the door, his words upsetting her. "I was going to talk to you eventually, explain even. But you misunderstood patience and used my brother against me."

"Reggie, please." she clutched onto her shirt. "It was one mistake that won't happen again. I won't get into your family matters. Just say you'll forgive me!"

He bit down on his lip. Regulus could tell she was desperate for his approval or even his forgiveness, but he couldn't give her that. He had hoped at some point that his relationship with Sirius would reconcile, but the chances of that had thinned. He shook his head, pressing the thoughts away.

"How will I know you won't do it again?" he implored, arching an eyebrow. "How will I know you won't go trying to resolve my family issues?"

Siobhán was lost. She knew she shouldn't have tried to resolve his distance from Sirius, but she wanted Regulus to be happy. His smile would make the whole world, and in her moment of stupidity, she let her selfish reasons get the best of her. Siobhán didn't know how to respond. He hadn't asked her, and when Remus and Siobhán planned it out, he was wary of meeting Sirius nonetheless. It wouldn't have changed anything. Regulus and Sirius were blood-born brothers who happened to be strangers. The fate of the Black brothers would be their casualty.