38

JAMES POTTER AND SIOBHÁN PARTEN had been dating for a couple of months. Many students reacted positively, but others seethed against their newfound love. The pair couldn't be bothered. They both knew that their devotion was all that mattered. Marlene Mckinnon and Sirius Black had become best friends over the past months. Some would say she became swooned by him. Lily was one of those people. She knew that Marlene fell for him the moment he set his full attention on her. The prefect was not one to be fooled.

As their relationship blossomed, others began to fall into deception. Regulus Black hadn't been the same since that Quidditch game. He wouldn't speak about what happened. Siobhán wanted to talk to him, but he shut her out. Regulus shut out everyone. Atlas was one of the first people to voice his concerns with Siobhán. She didn't know what to do. No one seemed to be able to get through that facade. Sirius had heard about his brother's distance. He wanted to help, but he didn't know how to talk to him. It wasn't possible, not after he left him alone.

"I've tried talking to him, Sirius!" she shouted, gripping onto her hair in frustration. "He won't acknowledge that I'm there."

She paced back and forth, hands behind her back. Sirius Black sat on a couch, legs spread. The two had been voicing their concerns. Siobhán couldn't keep calm. She yearned for Regulus's presence, his everlasting being.

"Maybe we could corner him." pointed out Sirius, tone neutral. Her eyes lit up, snapping her finger. Siobhán hadn't thought of that. She usually liked giving people space. "He won't be able to refuse."

"It's not like he wants to talk to us." she joked. Sirius bit back a scowl, biting down on his lip. "Sorry."

"Yeah, it's fine." he waved his hand. "If no one can get through him, then maybe I can." Siobhán nodded, sitting on an armchair. "I just don't know what to tell him."

"I don't know much about your relationship with Regulus, but I do think that you know him better than anyone. He cares about you, and if you try talking to him, he may as well listen." Siobhán voiced, fiddling with her fingers. Sirius gazed at the ground, deep in thought. He was afraid. Afraid of how his brother would see him. The regret constantly filled him, but one could only take so much pain. Sirius didn't know if he would understand. Yes, he was 15, but the boy was smart enough to know.

"You're right." Sirius breathly spoke. "I'm done acting like a coward. I have to face him. If something were to happen, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"That's the spirit!" she clapped, standing up from the armchair. "Alright, I know where he is. I'll corner him, come out when you feel it's right."

His eyebrows furrowed, standing up quickly. "Okay...anyways, I'll follow you. I won't make it too obvious, so don't worry."

"Good." Siobhán went towards the fat lady's painting, opening it. Sirius followed, uncertainty in his step. No, he wasn't going to wuss out. He was the Sirius Black. Yet, his weakness was his family. It was his deception. He hadn't run from them in years, but the topic of his brother scared him. Regulus turned his head every time he caught a glimpse of him. What would he do if he was right in front of him?

"We're almost there," she whispered. Sirius straightened himself, clenching his fist. The moment of truth would come any minute, and he wouldn't know how to act. Siobhán seemed calm about this. She didn't have anything to run from, but Sirius: he had the whole world to cast away. Sirius cleared his throat, trying to ease the silence.

"So, how are you and Prongs?" he asked, putting his hands in his pockets. Siobhán smiled, glancing behind her.

"We're doing great," she remarked, tone high. "James took me on a date a couple of days ago. He never fails to impress me." Sirius ran a hand through his hair. He was happy that his two close friends were working out well together. Their journey as a couple was a long one, filled with arguments and hurtful words. It was a miracle they managed to overcome their hardships and become the joyful couple they are now.