43

MARKS UNDER THE SUN. IT SEEMS like something beyond just sunburns, but kisses under the palm trees. Maybe it could be trees, barricading your inner feelings. Summer had passed, and Siobhán Parten was full of marks under the sun. Her trunk was in her cart, anticipating James's arrival. Everything about the platform was peculiar. The stone-tiled floor, gray brick walls, and shining maroon and black train all fascinated her. She didn't know why, but it drove her thoughts away from their final year at Hogwarts. What she needed was a distraction from the inevitable.

"Siobhán!" James's familiar voice called out. Siobhán turned around, gripping the metal cart's handle even harder. There was James Potter, a corduroy jacket layered over a white shirt. His jeans were a darker blue, and his shoes were white. He ran towards her, finally reaching where she was standing. Their eyes lingered on each other before crushing into a tight hug. He picked her up, twirling them around. "I've missed you..."

His whisper echoed in her ear. She hadn't heard his voice in two months, and she desperately missed him. It became too much to bear after Regulus sent the terrible news. Thoughts became consumed with tragedy, and Siobhán had enough. She was glad to see a familiar, comforting face to hold and cherish. Steam emerged from the train, signaling for everyone to get on. The pair looked at each other, enlacing their hands.

"One foot in front of the other," he whispered, smirking slightly. Siobhán gawked at him. He had become much more mature over the summer, and she couldn't understand what made him change.

"I know how to walk, James," she mentioned. He let out a chuckle, shaking his head. It infuriated her that he laughed at the little things she did, but she couldn't blame him. In all truth, she wasn't the brightest of the bunch. Siobhán was book smart. At least, she considered herself book smart. Most of the time, she lay low with the Marauders and tried to understand their bizarre jokes.

"Wow, I didn't know that!" he scrunched his nose, tone full of sarcasm. Siobhán rolled her eyes, boarding the train. They went towards the Gryffindor compartment areas, catching a glimpse of the peering eyes from the Slytherins.

"Ignore them." he squeezed her hand. She gazed at him, looking at his features.

"I always do."

"Anyways, let's go find Sirius." he dragged them into the Gryffindor part of the train, going towards an open compartment. Inside it was Sirius and Remus, staring at each other intensely. They hadn't noticed Siobhán and James standing at the entrance, bewildered by what they were doing. James cleared his throat, a smile plastered on his face. The two boys quickly glanced away from each other, Remus's face flushed with embarrassment. Sirius, on the other hand, had his hands behind his head. A smirk was plastered, not looking fazed by their sudden entrance.

"How was your summer, Remus?" inquired James, putting his trunk above the seats. Remus sighed. He seemed hesitant to speak of his summer. The Marauders knew he wasn't keen on talking about his family.

"It was alright, I suppose." he paused. "Not happy about this being our last year, though." Sirius nodded, catching his eye once more. Remus breathed in deeply, glancing at the window.

"Well, I have some business to attend to," James said. He put up Siobhán's trunk, kissing her cheek before exiting out the compartment.

"What business?" she asked, arching an eyebrow. James realized he hadn't told her the exciting news. He mentally cursed himself, running a hand through his hair.

"I forgot to tell you." he began. "I'm head boy." Siobhán's eyes widened, grinning ear to ear. One wouldn't think James Potter would become head boy, but he was full of surprises.