56

REGULUS BLACK STOOD STRAIGHT with purpose. How could it have come for him to be so different? Years ago, he felt like he didn't know what he wanted or what was right, but as of now, everything made sense. This plan—which was only going well thanks to Leonardo Nott—was his life's ambition. Staring out the windows that looked into the Black Lake's murky waters, Regulus thought about the future. The Slytherin common was dim, much like everyone else in the house. It wasn't lively or welcoming nor festive in the way the others were. How many pure-blood Slytherins do people even know that are good at socializing? Most likely four, if there was even that much. He cracked a grin, shaking his head quickly.

Regulus glanced around, turning his body to make his way to the door. He didn't like feeling alone in the Slytherin common; it reminded him of home. When Sirius left, his mother found a new focus—that being him. She was proud of him like any pureblood mother would be, but when she became angry, things began to seem like they never changed. Only this time, instead of Sirius, it was Regulus. He suffered the price for his leave. The boy stood in front of a blank wall, waiting. Suddenly, the enchanted stone snake swiveled from the floor, revealing the wooden door. He opened it to the empty corridors, letting out a deep breath as the snake merged with the base.

It was colder around these parts, dim and gloomy. Regulus supposed it fit with the way Slytherins were. It fits him. That wasn't a surprise, though, was it? Multiple people were afraid of him despite the fact he had done nothing. Being a Black meant you had the power to make people fear you. He had understood that since he was a child, barely 6. His jaw clenched at the thought. Regulus brushed it off, making his way to his favorite part of the castle. The Astronomy Tower was a place he could think of where the expectations burdened on him didn't matter. He found peace, silence, and reassurance when he looked at the stars. Maybe he was destined to be with the galaxy forever. His name tied him to it, anyway.

The wind rustled his clothes fiercely as he neared the railing of the tower, his gray eyes shining with possibility. It was like a welcome; you've arrived home. A smile came across his lips. Messy waves of his hair tossed and turned in different directions, but he pointed north. This place, that moment—nothing felt more right. He never expected anyone or anything, yet, he knew someone would find him. They always did. Even the times when he hid, hoping no one would locate him.

"Reggie?" Her voice was always a remedy to his problems. Siobhán Parten made her way next to him, smiling as if everything was pleasant. Her olive skin had a rosy tint to it, much like the flowers from the garden outside. "Have you seen Leo?" He furrowed his brows, shaking his head. "I haven't had an opportunity to speak to him since the forest stroll."

"I'm sure he's around here somewhere," Regulus reassured. Siobhán heaved out a sigh, placing strands of hair behind her ears. "How did you know I was here?" Her gaze found his.

"Intuition." She grinned. "I always seem to find you, don't I?" He rolled his eyes, returning to look at the sky. "I suppose it could be thanks to this special necklace." Siobhán tugged on the gold chain around her neck, showing off the Noble House of Black crest. Regulus shifted himself to face her this time, reaching out to touch the familiar piece of jewelry.

"You still wear it?" His gaze flickered from the necklace to hers. She shrugged her shoulders. Regulus Black felt a sense of joy, adoration, and gratefulness all at once. Siobhán Parten still wore the chain he told Sirius to give her. After so many years, she had worn it with admiration.

"Of course I do." She slid the necklace under her shirt. Regulus's grin was so big that even he couldn't believe what he was doing. "I've cherished it with everything in me."

"I'm glad you still have it." He ran a hand through his hair. "When I'm not around, you'll have a part of me with you always. I hope you look at it and think of how I loved and appreciated your friendship." Siobhán shook her head, opening and closing her mouth.