21

EUPHEMIA POTTER AND SIOBHÁN Parten were cooking up breakfast in the kitchen. She was mixing the batter as Euphemia was making the eggs. The two had multi-tasked between each other to make a delicious breakfast for the other three people in the house.

"Is the batter ready?" asked Euphemia, glancing up from the pan of eggs. Siobhán nodded while wiping her sweat away with her forearm.

"Do you think they'll like this?" implored Siobhán, anxious about what the men would think. She was especially nervous about James trying her cooking. She didn't know why, but it just riled her up. She wanted everything to be perfect so he would be proud of how good of a cook she and his mother were.

"They'll adore this," Euphemia reassured. "Especially James," she added. "He's a sucker for a good breakfast."

Siobhán sighed, putting her hands on the counter. Euphemia placed the batter on the pan and started making pancakes.

"Are you alright Siobhán?" came a soft voice from the kitchen. Fleamont Potter had entered the kitchen. He had been following the delicious smell of pancakes and eggs. Euphemia quickly glanced back from her pan and saw Siobhán had her hands on the counter.

"Yes, I'm fine." Siobhán quickly responded. "Just a bit nervous is all."

"Why is that?"

"I guess I haven't really cooked for anyone else other than my family." she gazed around at the kitchen. "I just want to impress you all with my skills."

"Everything will be fine, dear." Euphemia gave her a small smile. "Breakfast can be made multiple times. Just practice is all that's needed."

"James will love your cooking," Fleamont said coolly. His wife glared at him as he talked about James.

"You think so?" Siobhán gazed at Fleamont who gave her a big thumbs up. He quickly walked out of the kitchen. Euphemia started taking out the pancakes from the pan. Siobhán ran to the cabinet and grabbed the plates. Since she wasn't of age yet that meant she couldn't use her wand outside of Hogwarts.

"Mia, these plates?" she carried the plates and put them next to Euphemia who nodded.

"Sweetie, why do you get so nervous making food for James?" she asked abruptly. Siobhán halted as she was about to get the strawberries from the bowl.

"He's just my — my friend that I don't want to disappoint." she began, trying to find words to say. "He's done so much for me so I just want to make this as perfect as it can get."

Euphemia smiled as she could tell she wasn't aware of how love actually was or how it felt. "I see the way James looks at you." she placed pancakes on the plates. "He looks at you like you're the light of his world."

Siobhán grabbed a knife from the drawer and started cutting up strawberries. "That's not true, James and I just look at each other with admiration as friends."

"Everything is 'as friends' with you two," Euphemia stated, grabbing syrup and whip cream from the cabinets. "I know you two are young and not so mature to know about love, but I know James better than anyone."

"Many years ago he came to me with a confession." she put the many plates next to Siobhán. "He told me about this pretty little redhead who he was in love with. He talked about her so passionately, just like how he talks about now." Euphemia declared, going to the sink to wash the dirty dishes.

"I know you two haven't figured out your emotions yet, but I'm sure he loves you." she began. "Platonically or not."

Siobhán put the strawberries on the plates as she thought about Euphemia's words.