44

REMEDIES. A WORD SO OFTEN SPOKEN that it seems distant. Remedies are something you need for pain. It wouldn't matter which type of pain, but it would have to be something that hurts deeply within. Many people need remedies. Maybe not externally, but internally. Heartbreaks, mentally draining situations, and sadness all need remedies. Siobhán Parten needed one. Ever since Regulus had become a death eater, he hadn't spoken to her. She noted that he was distant. Regulus didn't talk, keeping to himself. It was strange to see him so drained, unkept, and dull. Siobhán was starting to worry about him, and it pained her to see him like this.

The sorting ceremony was about to start. Siobhán's brother, Vinícius, was going to be sorted. She hoped it would be Gryffindor so he could adjust quickly. Everyone knew the environment in the school was harsh to muggle-borns. So, Gryffindor was the best shot for Vinícius to having a good start. She caught the eye of her brother, standing in the crowd of first years. He looked nervous, scared even. Siobhán gave him a thumbs up, bidding him good luck for the sorting.

"Is that your brother?" asked James, gazing at Vinícius. Siobhán jumped at the sound of his voice. She didn't realize James Potter was sitting next to her, a cocky grin plastered. Siobháns thoughts had consumed her, blocking out the noise. The Great Hall was fuller than usual, catering to the children anticipating their sorting.

"Yes, that's my brother." she smiled. "He's scared about being sorted, but let's hope that he gets Gryffindor."

James nodded, putting a hand under his chin. "If he gets Slytherin, just know he'll have a hard time." Siobhán glared at him, rolling her eyes shortly after.

"If he gets Slytherin, we're going to support him." she put forth, gazing back at her younger brother. James sighed, eventually nodding. Siobhán wasn't fond of house discrimination, or any in general. He would have to deal with her brother being in Slytherin. Well, that's if he gets sorted into the snake pit. But she had a feeling Gryffindor was the house for him. Their whole family seemed like Gryffindors, but it all depends on the assets he has.

"I bet on him getting Slytherin." Sirius piped in, smirking at Siobhán's scowl. James's eyes lit up. He punched Sirius in the shoulder, fighting back a smile.

"Alright, I bet Gryffindor," he added. "I'm going to win. So, don't get your hopes up." Sirius let out a laugh, grabbing five galleons from his pocket.

"In your dreams, Prongs." he heaved out a sigh. "In your dreams..."

"You keep dreaming about shagging girls," James muttered. Sirius placed a hand on his chest, gazing at him with a hurt expression.

"Excuse me!" he whisper-yelled. "I haven't done that since last year. As you can see, I have taken our plan seriously."

"Just a matter of days before you have a relapse." James shook his head, tapping his fingers against the table. Siobhán bit down on her lip, holding back her words.

"Just a matter of days before you go have some sad pity party after an argument with Sib." he retorted, tone bitter. Siobhán's eyes widened. Sirius had a point, but he shouldn't have brought it up. In all truth, she was offended by his words. Despite it not being towards her, she felt slightly angry.

"Shut it, you two!" Remus barged in, putting a finger up to his lips. The Great Hall was quieting down, meaning the sorting was about to begin. Siobhán clenched her hands into fists, anxiety brewing in her stomach.

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, beginning to read from the list of names. Siobhán knew that Vinícious would be at the end of the list since their last name started with a P. Nevertheless, she was anxious. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff were all possibilities. But it didn't make any difference how many houses there were. Each had a flaw; it didn't matter what. Every one of them had its problems, and Siobhán could name a few. Gryffindor's were a bunch of arrogant, high-ego dipshits. Slytherin's were prejudiced, discriminators, and judgemental. Ravenclaw's had a sense of telling on others, become self-centered, and spread rumors. Hufflepuffs had anger issues, self-absorbed into their cliche world, and were ruthless. Maybe this was all biased, but this was personal experience.