13. Bow Wow

Life was and will never be fair to the ones who do not stand for themselves. It is your life and you have got to fight for it.

Sadly, Shen Wei still needed more wake-up calls.

He had been walking for an hour... in the wrong direction but couldn't see an end to the road ahead or his woes. He was tired, his legs had started hurting.

*

Yunlan prepared another drink for him while watching his favourite movie today. First, he got to taste the flavourful tea and then the opportunity to cause trouble to Wei. For him, it was a good day.

*

While Shen Wei, it was probably just another day with a new kind of trouble. He breathed hard as he sat crossed leg on the corner of the road. He quickly took out his inhaler. His lungs and legs both were giving out on him and he needed to get back as soon as possible.

*

The drunken Karate master slapped the villain with his cane making him fall back on his butt. Yunlan chuckled. He was amazed at how the actors made the entire action scene look so convincing, and he did not care to even think about the person he had dumped on a stranded highway exit hours ago.

*

Shen Wei was again walking; his clothes were all soiled and hair dishevelled now. He looked around for a sign of life. Little did he know that this road was not used for more than 3 years and any chance of any sort of life on it was next to zero. He was, at intervals, swallowing on his spit out of thirst.

*

Yunlan poured himself the most expensive wine from his collection as now he enjoyed his dinner. He craned his neck to look outside, it was dark already. He smiled to himself as he enjoyed his food with wine.

*

Shen Wei was still walking; his pace was slower than a snail, his steps tired. When he thought things couldn't get any worse, he tripped and fell, but this was not it. His glasses lost one lens. It was the last leaf; he did not get up. He remained face-first on the dusty road with his face buried in his arms, with the wish to get run over. To his bad luck, even that was not going to happen.

*

Yunlan swayed to the music with the glass of wine in his hand. Yunlan was the happiest. He had finally gotten rid of Shen Wei.

*

Shen Wei was again sitting on the roadside, his clothes soiled, his glasses missing one lens, his hair all over the place.

But didn't the luck started working in his favour?! Yes, it did.

A few cars raced down the stranded road. Shen Wei's eyes swelled to see so many cars speeding down the road. He quickly stood up. More than happy, he was startled to see the cars passing him at top speed. He stepped back.

Was it a race?! He was confused. All the cars were gone. Shen Wei still stood, clueless as to what just happened. Then he saw one car coming back. Shen Wei grew nervous when the car pulled in front of him.

The window rolled down, "Shen Wei?"

Shen Wei was as confused as the driver of the car.

Yunlan was checking out Shen Wei's bookshelf. He scoffed to see the collection. Shen Wei read action and adventure books and it made Yunlan laugh. Someone so nerdy had such a spicy choice of books. He was expecting boring autobiographies or help books, but he was surprised. He picked one book, "Art of Kung Fu." He again scoffed and put the book back.