20. Love Is All You Need

Shen Wei had become a small ball, tucked between the wall and bed

Shen Wei had become a small ball, tucked between the wall and bed. Yunlan was confused while Shen Wei's fever had left him shivering and delirious. Now he was hallucinating his worst fears that Yunlan was completely clueless about.

Shen Wei could see his father walking towards him, and he looked angry. He whimpered and cowered further back.

"No, Dad. I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he shook his head while crying incessantly, his hand raised in defence.

Was his dad here to punish him again for not being able to talk like the other kids or because he failed in his class again? He did not know. All he knew that he did not do it intentionally. He couldn't help being wasteful... the most useless, the words rang in his ears.

"I'm sorry, Dad, I'm sorry," he cried as his breathing gradually became fast and shallow. His entire frame trembled with fear and an onslaught of sobs. Yunlan could feel something inside him aching to see Shen Wei's wretched condition. The way Shen Wei cried, the chances of an attack only increased and for some reason, Yunlan did not want it, not anymore.

"Hey, Shen Wei, it's me," Yunlan tried speaking in the gentlest tone possible but it was almost inaudible over Shen Wei's whimpers and rapid breathing, "... Yunlan."

Shen Wei paused for a brief moment, slight confusion shadowed his tear-drenched face, "Yunlan?!" his voice came out a hoarse whisper as if he couldn't recognise the name.

"Yes, Yunlan. I'm not... dad," Yunlan was too hesitant as he kept approaching Shen Wei, but his feet paused when Shen Wei shrunk back.

"Please, Yunlan, no. I did not do anything. I'm sorry, Yunlan." Wei tearfully pleaded as he hugged his knees closer, "I did not do... I did not do anything. Please..." Another sob escaped his lips.

Yunlan's jaws tensed on hearing his name

Yunlan's jaws tensed on hearing his name. So, after all, he did have his contribution. If not entirely, at least some part of it. He felt pathetic in the very moment. He would have taken some time to curse himself for all the past mistakes and cruelty he subjected Shen Wei to but right now, Shen Wei needed him.

He very slowly knelt before a shivering Shen Wei and watched the face that was now red and washed in tears and sweat. Shen Wei still hiccupped silently while his blind eyes kept staring back at the foggy frame before him.