30. His Karma

His eyes were red from crying, his jaws were tensed in anguish and frustration, his feet never stepped off the accelerator. He had lost Ye Zun but he was not at all ready to lose Shen Wei. With all these thoughts spiralling in his head, Zhao Yunlan was not able to think straight at the moment.

He was just furious. He sped up. He should not have.

It all happened in slow motion like they show in those high budget Hollywood movies but sadly, it was not a movie, the person driving was not an actor, and there were going to be no retakes.

KARMA!

He lost control. His eyes widened in realisation.

He panicked when the car skid off the road and rammed into a post.

His face was rammed into the inflated airbag, a slight crack could be heard.

His eyes drooped, a narrow stream of blood trailed down his temple.

He did not know what happened, but he was hurting in different places.

Zhao Yunlan smiled dizzily at the irony. Dying was never part of the plan. Keeping his eyes open was a battle now so he decided to close them. Surprisingly, there were no flashbacks like they showed in the movies and dramas, just infinite darkness.

Karma does not spare anyone but here, it did...

15 days later

He constantly slipped in and out of consciousness with no track of time or his whereabouts. Every time he gained a little consciousness, all he could hear were screams, cries, and people talking to each other in an excessively concerned manner. As for seeing, the light was always too bright and hurt his eyes, so he shut them back right away.

Even if he was delirious every time he woke up, he could instantly feel pain in his face and few other parts of his body.

One day, the drugs wore off and Yunlan woke up involuntarily. He was voicelessly groaning in pain. It was hurting too much but he was in no condition to speak or call anyone for help. Tears trailed down his temple but suddenly, his heart was at ease to hear an extremely soothing masculine voice, to sense a gentle touch to his forehead. He knew who it was. More tears left Yunlan's eyes. The remorse in him forced him to mumble incoherent words of apology before slipping back into the drug-induced slumber.

Zhao Yunlan went through three different major surgeries back-to-back, one of which was to reconstruct his jaw.

No one could have imagined that a capable driver like Zhao Yunlan could get into such a fatal collision. Some even speculated foul play with the millionaire's car but all of it was Zhao Yunlan's KARMA and even in his unconscious state, he was well aware of it.

He finally opened his eyes.

At first, his double vision made him see everything in double. The voices were just incomprehensible echoes. He closed his eyes back, the light was blinding, it was too noisy, and recognising all the faces was too much work.

He went back to sleep.

It took him a few more attempts to finally be able to bear his surroundings. And when he was finally in his full senses, he got to know that he had a broken jaw, a metal plate in his left leg, and several minor tears.

And he also missed a set of molars. He wanted to cry and complain but a broken jaw trapped in a chin and jaw brace meant he could not talk or even move his face. So, Zhao Yunlan was like a vegetable now and all he could do was listen.

"At least, you are alive..." Lin Jing's words were no relief, "for now."

Zhao Yunlan rolled his eyes which happened to be the only painless physical activity he could indulge into, so he rolled his eyes a lot.