chapter six

you live your life, you go in shadows you'll come apart and you'll go black some kind of night into your darkness colors your eyes with what's not there

***

//

Niall was right. I was walking on sunshine.

I felt completely euphoric. It was like a switch had been flipped and suddenly everything was right in the world. It was exactly as Niall explained but experiencing it was next level.

The lights from the fairgrounds shine brighter and more beautiful than before. The chatter and laughter from people around me surrounded me fully and the night time air had never been more refreshing.

With the music blasting from the speakers, we walked down the boardwalk. Spinning on bliss, the four of us were out of our fucking minds, with absolutely no worries hitting our surfaces.

Time slips in a frenzy after a few games of ringtoss and shoot out, Louis wins a giant stuffed bear. At some point we decide we're starving, so we stop at the funnel cake stand. Niall's shoving the fried batter down his throat not leaving any to share with the rest of us. So I order one for myself just as Harry starts to walk away from our group.

"Where are you going?" Niall calls after him and Harry turns his head back towards us.

"Ferris wheel." He says before he continues walking. The three of us exchange the same looks before following right after him.

The ferris wheel has no line so we get on right away. Louis and Niall both push past me and Harry and get on the same seat and since it's two a seat I have no choice but to go with their lead singer.

The space is small so our legs brush and our shoulders touch and I try not to let the tense air trigger any anxiety when I realize this is the closest we've ever been to each other.

Looking down I watch our feet hang high above the ground as the wheel rotates us upwards and everything starts getting smaller. I look over at Harry, watching as his curls blow slightly in the soft breeze as we reach the top and that's when it hits me.

Almost like a punch to the face, everything around me slows down and I watch as the lights suddenly become brighter like a switch is flipped.

Then, the seat suddenly rocks forward and I swear I'm gonna fall out. But the safety bar in front of us holds us back as we are both startled and hold on to it. One second I was fearing for my life and the next I was laughing like it was the funniest thing ever.

Harry looks to me like I'm a crazy person and that makes me laugh harder. "I'm guessing it finally kicked in." He mutters looking at me with an amused expression as I continue laughing, tipping my head back and look up at the sky.

"Oh my god." I look at my surroundings "This is fucking crazy." I'm in awe when I see the ocean in the distance. The carnival lights reflect off of the calm waters and chatter from below gets muffled.

Everything seems to move in slow motion and I suddenly feel fucking invincible.

Soft fingertips brush my kneecap and I flinch at the sudden contact. My eyes raise to Harry's now dilated ones and I know he feels the effects of the drug too.