thirty four

south carolina july 1990

south carolina
july 1990

***

Harry
//

"Shh," Vada whispers with her finger pressed to her kissed-too-hard lips.

Climbing through her opened window, my shoes meet the floor of her carpet as I step into her room.

Her grey eyes shine behind the soft glow of the twinkling nightlight, hooded and unforgettable. And her hair hangs loose, red with yellow waves down her back as her cheeks brimmed a fucked-too-long pink.

"Grams is sleeping," she whispers, standing back as I step forward.

"I know," I say, leaning towards her. "I guess we'll have to see how quiet we can be,"

"Harry—" A smile forms on her lips and I'm cutting her off to place mine on hers.

Desperate and addicted. That's what she made me. This girl. This fucking girl. I couldn't get enough.

"I was thinking about you all night," I grabbed her hips and walked her backwards towards the end of her bed. With her fairy lights glowing on her headboard, we were surrounded by everything that makes her soft.

"Yeah?" Baby asks, looping her fingers around my belt and bringing me closer with a taunting smile.

"Don't play with me, tell me you were thinking about me too," I leaned down, cornering her with my arms on both sides planted on the soft mattress of her unmade bed. "Come on, V tell me or I'll die."

Vada brushes the hair out of my eyes, revealing bruises and faded black. "I missed you. I have been thinking about you since the moment you left." She gives me the world with her words.

It was Friday again. It was the worst night of my week. Fight nights were crowds still erupting in my head with a ringing I couldn't get out. They made my body ache no matter how many pills I took while I always yearned for something stronger.

After every fight, I never stuck around for any longer than I needed to. I went back to the motel, took some downers and crashed through any further pain. But tonight was different because all I wanted to do was be by the girl who made me higher than any drug.

I wanted to be with her more than ever because ever since we started last Sunday, we couldn't seem to stop.

I knew every inch of her body. I knew every single cry and the way she stretches and tightens around me. I knew every scratch mark and love bite. I know because she will be engraved in my brain forever. It's the biggest fucking rule I've made.

Vada crawls back up towards the head of her bed, and I follow after her. We get in the familiar way I crawl between her legs and she holds on to me like she never wants to let go. I kiss her already bruised skin and fire up any burning ache she's never been able to break.