chapter twenty four

south carolina july 1990

south carolina
july 1990

***

Vada
//

The house is bright and morning-lazy when I walk through the house the next morning. I'm exhausted and my body feels like I haven't slept in years.

Dropping my bag by the stairs, I enter the living room where gram's is flipping through channels and sipping her morning coffee. She looks up at me through her reading glasses and sends me a smile as I head over.

"Long night?" she wonders as I take a seat next to her.

As soon as my body hits the comfort of the cushions, I give into the temptation of lack of sleep. Laying down, my head rests in her lap and her soft fingers brush through my hair gently.

"Yeah," I don't lie to her this time. "I didn't sleep at all."

The chatter from the television station continued as sunlight poured in through the windows and the woman who raised me sends me peace and comfort like no one can. I realize it's okay to be taken care of right before I fall asleep.

That weekend I stayed home and worked at the motel, because it was our busiest time of year. The office was chaotic all day Saturday, with lots of people from around the state rushing in and out filling up all the empty rooms.

There was a certain smile on my grandmother's face that day, one that told me she was relieved we were getting busy like we used to.

A family of four rushed through the door just as I was about to sit down and pull out my book. The two children sat in the double stroller, as the couple argued about something.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, and put on my best customer service smile. Although chaotic, the couple was polite and got in and out pretty quick.

"Here you are, room number twelve. It'll be just on your right, out these doors." I hand the woman her keys and her and her husband smile gratefully at me.

Two more couples walk in, and the office is filled again so I yelled at my grandmother to come help me. As the bell chimes on the front door once again, I'm writing down a customer's information when I hear a whistle tune amongst the crowd of people.

When I look up, there's a tall bald man standing at the back of the room, sunglasses over his eyes. "How can I help you, dear?" My grandmother asks him.

I hand the keys to the couple keeping my attention on them. "You guys are all set, it's gonna be room nine just on your right." I send them a smile and call for the next person.