thirty nine (part 2)

***
cinnamon in my teeth from your kiss, you're touching me all the pills that you take violet, blue, green, red to keep me at arm's length don't work you try to push me out but i just find my way back in. violet, blue, green out to keep me out, i win

***
july 1990
south carolina

***

Harry
//

It's well past midnight. Vada's bedroom window is shut and the sound of her ceiling fan blows. Her eyes are shut, soft breaths evenly flowing through her nose as she lays next to me while I sit up with my back against the wall.

The red light from her digital clock glows in my vision, and with every second that passes by I start to feel the anticipation grow heavier and heavier.

When I hear the low hum of Zayn's Chevy roll its tires into the motel lot, I basically jump out of my seat. I slip on my Converse, grab my keys and wallet and move quickly and quietly out of the room.

But V's a light sleeper these days, so right before I can leave she's turning over and her sleepy eyes catch my escape. I stand between her door frame with one foot in the hallway and one on her carpet to her bedroom.

"Harry," she calls with a knowing tone that has underlying concern.

Zayn's engine revives from outside as a signal to hurry up, but my heart pulls me back as I make my way back towards her bed and hover over her.

"I'll be back, I always come back, remember?" I give her a crooked smile, despite the pain flowing in my stomach.

"Don't promise shit," Her voice is hoarse from sleep and emotion.

"What can I say to stop you, what can I do?" She holds me tighter, squeezing her hands on my shoulders and digging her fingernails through the fabric of my shirt.

She holds so tight and she's the only person in the world who I would even consider it for. But tonight even drawing blood isn't enough, so I pry her hands from me with force and kiss her until it pains the both of us.

"I'll be back," I promise what isn't kept and leave her before she tries to convince me to stay again.

Making my way out of the empty house, I start my engine and roll out of the driveway towards the motel lot as Zayn and I pull our driver's sides next to each other. I light up and roll down the window and one look does everything for him.

"Don't do anything stupid," he says because he knows me too well.

"No promises," I pull the smoke from the end of the cigarette as it barely calms any shot nerves that I've had pulsing through my veins for the past week and a half.

Zayn shakes his head. "I'm fucking serious, Harry. Your stupid decisions is what got us here in the first place—"

"Just watch out for her, yeah?" I throw the end of the stick out the window, knowing my boy for his loyalty before pulling away and taking off.

Aerosmith blasts all the way to the cities and I haven't calmed down a fraction. Not with the white now flowing in my veins and especially because of the heavy pistol in my waistband.

The club of sin and bliss peaks at this time of night. Every wall and floorboard vibrates underneath each step I take, and with the shades over my eyes my vision is darker as I make my way over to the VIP section.

The crowds of people hover in every corner, but when they see me coming they part like the red sea to let me by. Every face blurs together as their heads noticeably turned towards me as I make my way through.

"Styles!" A voice calls and Miles is right in front of me. "The fuck are you doing here?" he laughs.

"Where the fuck is he?" I turn to him, and as soon as he sees the look on my face his smile drops.

"Calm the fuck down," His voice is low. The popular dealer has an easy going personality and a solution for everything. He pats my shoulder like we're old friends and plays it off in front of the crowd of people.

"You know what the fuck I'm talking about, you know why I'm here," I don't keep my voice low, I don't give a fuck if there are eyes and ears on us.

"Honest answer, I haven't seen him," Miles has fucked up eyes and an always present smile even when he's being serious so that's why I believe him.

"I heard something though," Then his eyes went up towards the direction of the stairs where the offices were. I don't miss a beat on what he's not really telling me as I leave and make my way over.

I get my way up the stairs and down the hallway, checking in every empty room before stopping at the last one all the way at the end. I push open the door without knocking and I'm not surprised at what I find.

Robbie sits at one of the chairs in front of the large desk, and behind it Liam Payne sits on his throne.

"Styles!" Payne greets, but I pay him no attention.

My eyes are locked and loaded on the betrayal that lingers with underlying fear in his eyes. He knows what I am capable of, they both do. The barrel of the loaded gun gets heavier and heavier.

"Why don't you have a seat?" Payne says after a second of silence.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up?" I tell him, lifting my shirt so he sees I'm not here to fuck around.

"Alright, let's not lose our heads here," Payne sighs out. "Sit the fuck down, Styles." he demands but I don't move.

"Don't worry, he's not gonna do shit." Robbie says, but the look of uncertainty gives him away.

It only takes a second for my brain to catch up with my actions but it's too late.

I don't even fucking hesitate. Pulling the pistol from my waistband, I aim it right at that gold-toothed son of a bitch, and pull the trigger.

It purposely hits him in the shoulder and he goes down, screaming in agony as blood leaks from the bullet wound. My eyes shift to Payne as he watches one of his puppets become weaker.

"I don't miss on accident." I tell Robbie as he spills out his blood on the expensive carpet.

"So you ever think of going near her ever again, I'll make sure my next bullet goes through your fucking brain," I then step towards the leader despite hearing his security guards rushing on the stairs.

"Don't look so innocent, you started this fucking war the minute you thought you could stake claim on her," I tell him, pointing the barrel at him with an intent of my every word. "You touch a hair on her fucking head, this place will go up in flames and I'll make sure to meet you in hell you son of a bitch—"

I get knocked to the ground, my gun gets kicked somewhere else as they force my hands behind my head where I'm then pulled onto my knees in front of Payne.

"This is a tough decision for me to make, but you leave me no choice," He sighs out dramatically.

"Go ahead," I challenged. "You think I'm some fucking toy you built, well congratulations motherfucker, you created a goddamn monster." I smile like I just won the fucking lottery.

My shit eating grin only irks the ring leader as he doesn't say anything else. But that ever lasting calm expression he has flickers for a moment and then he nods his head at his guard dogs.

Everything goes black and the gift of the light of day gets robbed from me like it never existed.

***

A/N

*throws the chapter and runs*