chapter fourteen

south carolina july 1990

south carolina
july 1990

***

Vada
//

June is gone in a blink of an eye, and the July sun creeps in on us without warning. As it harshly beams down hundred degree rays all week, I've been stuck in the empty motel office, practically twiddling my thumbs.

The band hasn't played in almost two weeks since their leader is still recovering, and they're busy working in the town's car shop as mechanics to make extra money for rent.

"I'm not cut out for this shit," Niall's hands are dirty from grease as he wipes them with a rag.

The shop is empty while the guys work on fixing the customers cars. They wear the same striped uniform, with their names in cursive on the top left of the shirt. Li and I watched from the side, eating our frozen yogurt trying to spread light on their boring work day.

A red bandanna is pulling messy brown hair out of Louis' blue eyes as he sits on the hood of the random car. "I didn't come to America to work in a fucking car shop either, but you gotta do what you gotta do mate." he shrugs, seeming to be the good sport of it all.

Zayn however, is like his rich girlfriend. He's never had a working job like this either and complains the most. "That fat ass slime ball of a boss will regret ever being an asshole to us, once we've made it big." he wipes his hands too.

"Just fucking watch" he shakes his head.

Short skirts and pink tips have been a distraction for the drummer all day. The couple can never stay away from each other for too long. But his boss noticed, and threatened to kick Juliet and I out. Louis had to hold Zayn back from throwing a punch to the guys face after he turned around and before all hell could brake loose.

"Keep it down, he's in his office still." Louis looks behind us to the closed office door.

Zayn shrugs unbothered. "He's deaf, he can't hear me." he snorts.

I'm the first one to notice the familiar white car pull into the parking lot outside the open garage doors. Quiet rock music plays while the boys work and Li and I play a game of cards. I quickly look away from the Ford before the driver door opens.

"Well, look who fucking showed up." Niall scoffs looking up from the hood of the car.

I keep my eyes on cards as Juliet takes a glance up from our game of crazy eight's, before looking at our cards again. She appears unaffected by his presence and so do I.

I overhear the conversation as our game continues. "You guys look stupid in those uniforms," Harry comments and I hear the smirk in his voice.

Louis doesn't hold back, he never does. "And you look stupid with all of those bruises." he fires.