chapter twenty

south carolina july 1990

south carolina
july 1990

***

Vada
//

There was just something about the rain.

The way it poured down on everything dry and dead, filling it up and making the earth alive again. Everything was brighter and more calm than it was when the sun shined and heated.

I could stare at it for hours and maybe imagine I was somewhere else, or someone else. Like I wasn't here and I wasn't this and maybe someone could love that I loved the rain like how they love me-

"What are you doing?"

I was constantly reminded of the harsh reality around me.

"Waiting," I answered without taking my eyes off of the rainstorm.

The motel office floorboards creak under
my grandmother's shoes as she approaches the desk. As the pitter-patter from the raindrops fell on the rooftops, down the side of the small building around us, we haven't had customers all week. I was honestly starting to worry about how this would affect business.

"Okay well, when you're done with that, could you do some work?" I finally face her, but she's not looking at me, and rather at the paperwork in her hands.

I lean back in the desk chair, it creaking under me as I do. Everything about this place was old and used. "We have no customers, what work could I possibly need to do?" I inspect my nails.

I feel her eyes on me before she sighs. "I told you, room four needs more towels" this gets my attention but I still don't meet her knowing eyes.

"probably some more shampoo samples as well." she continues.

I sigh looking up at her grey orbs that match mine. "You're being too obvious." I state.

She smiles, shrugging innocently. "Am I?" she knows even though I haven't told her anything directly.

She knows that the boy who stays in room four isn't much of a stranger to me like I pretend he is. She knows that I've had him in my room past three in the morning and that I've stayed in his more than once.

She knows, but she never pries like she wants to. She doesn't wanna cross a line like last time.

"But seriously, he really does need more supplies, he's been here for almost a month and he hasn't asked for anything." she explains and I give her a look.