forty five

south carolina august 1990

south carolina
august 1990

***

Harry
//

Even under the dark night sky, the temperature in the air was a good 86 degrees but the humidity made it feel even hotter.

And despite the shitty weather with possible outcomes of thunderstorms, the crowd that gathered at Main street between fifth and sixth ran all the way up and back without hesitation.

Performance cars showed off the rev of their engines as trained professionals impressed the mob of chaos. The whole part of town was closed off and illegally controlled by the commitment of these people who risk everything for this one night.

"You sure about this man?" Zayn's at my side, wide eyed and unsure.

"What, you don't trust me?" I ask him like it's a joke and he looks at me like I'm stupid. I laughed.

"Relax, you know I've done this shit before," I tell him and he nods.

"Yeah, but they don't know that," He nods over at the group from Payne's. "Exactly," I smiled as we watched the clean car pull up in front of us.

"The bet is you get the car if you win, but what the fuck do I get?" Miles wonders as he climbs out of the 1970 Chevelle.

I looked over at my group, my eyes switching from my two guitarists to my drummer and then back to our girls. Vada's eyes catch mine and she's looking at me with uncertainty.

"Two months pay, plus the car for my best versus your best?" I offered.

"What, two out of two and you're saying one of your little band mates can beat Eli?" Miles laughs like it's a joke but nobody's laughing and he catches my offer quickly.

"You're stupid and now shit out of luck Styles," He shakes his head, still smiling. "Alright, fine deal." Then we shake on it and that's that.

Pink tip's is fuming next to her boy and her look is murderous. "What the hell just happened, Harry?" Juliet asks abruptly.

I ignore her and turn to my drummer. "What do you say, Z?" I shrugged at him. "Wanna race like old times?"

"Oh fucking hell, Styles. What the fuck did you just do?" I hear Louis loudly groan from behind us.

Zayn's dark eyes are hard on mine, but I see the split of determination in them. "Like you've given me a fucking choice, asshole." He states, before the curve of his lips turn in a defeated smirk.

"This should be good," Niall laughs, eyes beaming with enthusiasm.

"Styles, you remember Finnegan from the club," Miles assumes as Eli emerges from the crowd.