chapter twenty five

there's something tragic about you something magic about you don't you agree there's something lonesome about you get closer to me there's something broken about this but i might be hoping about this

***

Vada
//

Juliet's house is dark and sleepy-quiet. Everyone was long asleep and dead to the world. While me and my secret remained wide awake and clinging onto our alone time.

"Let's go for a drive," I hear him next to me.

"It's four in the morning," my voice is groggy from lack of sleep.

We're on my best friend's porch swaying on her swing where crickets still chirped and the birds weren't even awake yet. My knees are up to my chest and goosebumps rise on my skin from the chilly early morning breeze.

Harry says "Live a little, V." And just like that we're heading to his car and driving off.

"You're not wearing any shoes, strawberry" I hear the smirk in his voice as we head down the suburban road.

Pulling my knees up, red leather is cool under my bare feet as I leaned back in the worn down cushion of the passenger seat. I didn't need shoes for where we were going.

The windows are down as we drive down the empty towns streets. With not a soul in sight, low melodies from guitar solos float out of the radio and hum around us filling up our comfortable silence.

We park at the beach but we don't get out. With the windows now rolled up, trouble lights up. I sit my back up against his passenger window, and he's leaning over and blowing the smoke from his lips and I lean upright to come closer.

Green eyes are heavy and his smirk is curving on his lips as I inhale thick smoke into my lungs and exhale with matching red bloodshot eyes.

He places a light kiss on my lips, letting it linger there for a moment. I try to capture his lips again but his head leans away from letting me do so as he still hovers close by. He repeats the action when I try again and my heavy eyes snap to him in frustration and by his smirk I know he's doing it on purpose.

"Come here," he mutters as he slowly leans back, and I follow after him as he starts to sit back in his own seat.

With my hands on the console between us, I'm on my knees in the passenger's seat as Harry leans against his window now. "Open," he mutters and I do as he says so he can put the blunt to my lips.

The car is now fogged and we're high and blissed out. We watch the waves and the sunrise as it cracks open above us, glimmering on the waters. And everything is still for the first time all week.

It reminds me of d.c when we felt like time didn't exist and we were the only people left in the universe.

"Tell me something," he says when silence is too loud and events from yesterday fill up too soon.

I hesitate and he can sense it. "We should get back before everyone wakes up," I don't wanna get caught but I'm not telling him the other truth.

He wants to know why I was on that rooftop in the first place.

"You're supposed to tell me things I wanna know, remember?" He says and he means a lot behind his words. But it wasn't fair. Nothing about any of this was fair.

"I didn't get into the internship program I applied to," My voice is low and I felt pathetic over being upset about impossible dreams.

"What else?" He knows there's more but could I trust him with secrets that weren't all the way mine?