chapter nineteen

south carolina july 1990

south carolina
july 1990

***

Vada
//

The birthday girl is glowing under being the center of attention and even though she tries to hide it it's everything she wants and more.

From the moment she woke up she's been surrounded by gifts and treats from the people who love her most in the world. And by six o'clock, everyone shows up for her party ready to celebrate. 

The lights are on out by the pool where pink and white balloons are floating in the water. Old friends from our high school show up, and a reunion breaks out whether I liked it or not.

Music blasts throughout the house, pounding through the walls where people dance and mingle, drinking out of red cups and green beer bottles.

When catching up with old friends starts to give me a headache, I break free and escape to the kitchen where there are less people and lots of bottles of alcohol calling my name. I throw back three shots of tequila, because why the fuck not?

I throw back another shot barely wincing at the burn. I was gonna need a lot of alcohol to get through this party.

"Hiya, stranger" someone says behind me as I chase down the burning liquid with soda.

I turn around and my eyes land on the familiar tall boy I haven't seen since last Christmas. Jack Parker stands back in his kitchen and it's way too familiar. I set down the glass as my eyes widen in surprise and he pulls me in for a hug.

"Jack!" I hugged my best friend's older brother and it's been forever.

His brown eyes shine like his sisters but his blonde hair is a shade darker than hers. "Vada, did you go ahead and grow up on me or something?" he's smiling down at me.

He's the only one I'm actually excited to be reunited with today. Growing up with him, he was like my older brother and the two of us were as close as him and Juliet were. They were both family.

I smile back at the familiar face who's taller than I remembered him being. I can't contain my excitement. "Something like that, yeah." I pull his hand leading him out of the sliding glass door through the kitchen and to the back patio.

"I can't believe you're here, Juliet's gonna freak. She totally owes me five bucks because she swore you weren't coming. But I knew you'd show up!"

The party outside is louder than inside, people crowd in the pool and the music blasts. I search for the birthday girl and find her at a table surrounded by people where she sits on her boyfriend's lap.

"There she is, you didn't tell her you were coming did you?" I turn to Jack again.

He shakes his head "I did, but she didn't think I'd show up." he shrugs glancing over at his sister.