forty four

***

south carolina
august 1990

***

Vada
//

"So let me get this straight," I start after a long pause of silence.

"Rayna is the daughter of an illegal drug gambler, who works for the biggest drug cartel in the South and her whole role as this 'cliche sorority girl that's majoring in fashion merchandising' is just a cover up?" I look at Harry, practically gaping.

"Correct," He confirms, like it's the most simple thing in the world.

After escaping the busted party, Zayn took Juliet's car and the rest of the boys home while Harry and I left on our own. Now, it's two in the morning as we sit in the parking lot outside of the motel where I'm pressing Harry for answers I damn well deserve.

The dark sky above us has been clear for the past few hours, but now as the windshield starts to get covered in raindrops I know we were in for yet another storm.

I felt something brewing in the distance. We all did. Weather reports say we're in for some intense storms that will take over and break records. There was something coming and we all better be prepared for when it did.

"Jesus," I sighed out. "Is there anything else?" I then ask carefully.

"Her dad might be my ticket out," Harry blows the cigarette smoke through his nose so it comes out as he speaks. "There's talk about him taking over and if I'm able to get on his good side, there's a chance he might bend the rules," he explains.

"Take over?" I questioned. "What about—"

"Payne's not going to survive another quarter, it's only a matter of time." Harry's green eyes are dark under dull streetlights, and his voice seems distant as he speaks.

"Well, what if it's too late?" I ask him. "What if he gets to you before then? He has shit on both of us—"

"He's not going to." Harry states firmly, his eyes practically black as he stares at me. "He knows I'm not threatened by him, and he knows what I'll do if he comes close enough again." I watch him click the cigarette out of the opened window.

"I don't get it," I shake my head. "I mean, if that's the case why are you still in it? Clearly you're not afraid of what he's gonna do if you try to get out." I glance warily over at him, desperate for his explanation.

Harry pauses for a moment, not meeting my eyes as he's leaned back in his driver's side. "It was about that before. But I don't know, it's different now," He says, lowered before he continues again. "I have the upper hand, but until I can get straight with the band, I need them as much as they need me."

"I know you stay for the money," I confirm. "But you could just as easily make rent with the boys at the garage, so why do you need extra?" I'm still confused.

I watch as he goes back and forth with himself, racking his brain for an answer. But after a long moment he finally says "Because of my dad," I barely hear him at first. "My dad needs the money,"

And then it's my turn to go quiet. "Your dad?" I managed to get out after a few stunned moments.

"You said your parents were dead?" I questioned abruptly.

"Yeah, I know. I just meant one more than the other technically." Harry clears his throat. "My mom was murdered in a home invasion when I was sixteen, and my dad is a psychotic alcoholic who has been making me pay everyday for it since." His voice is flat as he explains, and there's nothing but truth behind his eyes.