chapter four

i think we're like fire and water, i think we're like the wind and sea you're burnin' up, i'm cooling down you're up, i'm down, you're blind i see but i'm free

***

The night is not over, in fact it's far from over Juliet says.

The sun sets and the bonfire blazes a fiery orange, with some red and blues. The wood crackles and sizzles, popping embers into the air. I hold my hands in front of the intense glow until the ends of my fingers and the top of my nose heats.

As the day went on the party got bigger and people were still gathered in the water and on the sand. But some people seemed to be less rowdy as before and were settled around the fire.

I'm sitting alone. Harry is visible through the flames but shadowed by his hood. He sits drinking out of a green bottle talking with Niall.

"Here I got this for you." Benny's standing next to me as I look up. He holds two sweating beer cans in his hand, one stacked on top of the other.

Ben's an old friend from school that I reunited with earlier today.

I haven't seen him since school, and we spent the day catching up. Ben and I always bonded over the same interests, mostly art, but we also found we liked some of the same books and music too.

It was refreshing knowing I had some things in common with someone, especially because I felt like such an outsider lately.

I pop open the tap and ice cold foam spills onto my fingers. Snickering I shake my hand dry and lick beer on the side of my can without thinking. Bitter liquid burns my tongue but I'm used to it.

"Want mine?" Ben offers the side of his mouth curving.

I smile and shake my head while drinking a cold mouthful. As my can gets lighter and my head gets heavier that familiar feeling of tipsiness sets in and I'm starting to want to be closer to Ben and his breathy laugh. He's comforting in a way and his brown eyes are soft as they flash in adoration.

I definitely am never this touchy. I know for a fact that if I was sober right now I would be keeping my distance. But the alcohol in me lets curiosity get the better of me and I find myself leaning in close to Ben's side and inhaling the smoky scent of his sweater. I die a little.

Ben's the personification of comfort and a piece of my splintered confidence shines.

Surprised by my closeness, Ben wraps an arm around my shoulders and whispers. "You cold?"

"Kinda." I make an excuse instead of saying I just liked the feeling of him.

"Let me go get the blanket, I left it in the sand. We can share it?" Ben offers before I can decline he's walking away.

Looking back at the fire, I take another drink of my now empty beer can and then crush the sides of it.

"Scare the lover boy off so soon?" I look up.

Harry's now standing in front of the fire, still on the other side, as he looks at me with a humorous smirk. His dark eyes are drunk lidded. He's definitely had a few too many beers, and I can't even imagine what else he's on.

"Lover boy?" Niall snorts, nudging his band mates shoulder from next to him.

Only half our group hangs around the fire pit now. Louis is gone with some girl and Rayna hangs by Harry's side sitting on the sand by his legs. Her eyes are on mine and they somehow match trouble's smugness.

With a straight face, glowing green eyes look back into mine. "I'm sure he's expecting a little more than a hug tonight, princess."

"Yeah, the dude definitely wants some, V action." Niall's tone is more playful and less condescending like his band mate is. I roll my eyes but keep quiet trying to ignore the two.