XXVI.

Ron, Hermione, and Lalia were supposed to be studying for their exams, which would finish on the day of the third task, but they were putting most of their efforts into helping Harry prepare.

"Don't worry about it," Hermione said shortly when Harry pointed this out to them and said he didn't mind practicing on his own for a while, "at least we'll get top marks in Defense Against the Dark Arts. We'd never have found out about all these hexes in class."

"Good training for when we're all Aurors," said Ron excitedly, attempting the Impediment Curse on a wasp that had buzzed into the room and making it stop dead in midair.

"I'm not going to be an Auror," muttered Lalia to herself.

The mood in the castle as they entered June became excited and tense again. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of the term.

Sirius had begun to send owls daily. Like Hermione, he seemed to want to concentrate on getting Harry through the last task before they concerned themselves with anything else. He had even written to Lalia asking her to watch Harry closely and to be careful on the grounds.

Lalia's anxiousness returned as June the twenty-fourth drew closer, but Harry assured her that he was better prepared for this task than the other two before it.

The four friends were seated at the Gryffindor table the night of the twenty-third. Lalia and Hermione had been quizzing Harry on all that they had studied and he was clearly tired of it.

"Enough, enough. I've done all I could. Nothing today is going to help me." He glanced at his friends. "You three have already helped me enough."

"Lalia! Lalia!" said Neville, hurrying towards the girl.

He sat down next to her and gasped for breath.

"What, Neville? What is it?" she asked nervously.

"It's your cousin, Mahealani. She's in the library, studying for her O.W.L.s.

"Oh, Neville! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" Lalia eagerly kissed both the cheeks and forehead of the boy after each thanks she offered him.

"Well then, I've got to run," Lalia said, standing from the table. "Goodnight. See you lot tomorrow."

The friends all responded to Lalia's goodnight and turned back to the table as she turned away.

"And Harry -"

"Lalia! I promise whatever it is you're thinking, I already know it," Harry said slightly exasperated.

Lalia smiled softly at the boy.

"Goodluck."

Harry nodded and shooed the girl away.

"Go."

Lalia smiled before turning towards the doors of the Great Hall and hurrying out. Once she entered the hallway, she immediately began to run to the library where the cousin, who had previously continued to evade her would be studying.

---

Breakfast was a very noisy affair at the Gryffindor table on the morning of the third task. The post owls appeared, bringing Harry a Goodluck card from Sirius. It was only a piece of parchment, folded over and bearing a muddy paw print on its front, but Harry appreciated it all the same.

Hermione spat out her pumpkin juice while reading the Daily Prophet.

"What?" said Harry and Ron together, staring at her.

"Nothing," said Hermione quickly, trying to shove the paper out of sight, but Ron grabbed it. He stared at the headline and said, "No way. Not today. That old cow."