I.

A house that some would say was too small to be considered a house sat a little farther from everyone else on top of a small hill.

There was a somber feeling in the building that suffocated the two people who sat quietly across from each other in a living room.

The man with light brown hair, a thin frame, and an exhausted face stared back at a little girl with thick black hair, warm gray eyes, and round rosy cheeks.

Both of their eyes were red and irritated from the tears they had spilt earlier. Normally, they were comfortable with each other and the little girl would be cuddled under his arm, but recent events had caused a small rift as neither knew how to react to what happened or their new living situation.

The girl had only stopped shaking and crying because she had fallen asleep. Now that she was awake, she shared the awkwardness with her father in front of her.

"I'm sorry..." The man's voice cracked as he thought of the recent addition to his list of dead friends. His eyes watered and he gasped for a breath, trying to find air to speak to his daughter.

When she appeared in his fireplace, dirty and bruised, his heart clenched. But when she screamed for her mamá with big tears rolling down her cheeks to her neck, it broke.

He wanted nothing more to floo to Alissa's house, but he knew that wasn't their plan in case of emergencies. He hated himself for leaving them in that house alone while he stayed in the cottage only for the full moon. Instead, Remus ran to his daughter and apparted as close as he could to Hogwarts.

He walked towards the grounds on a mission to find the headmaster and ask for help, advice, assistance, anything he could get. He was stopped by a familair voice asking his name.

He hadn't realised he was crying until he looked at the woman who called him and he could not see her face through his tears. He had assumed the gasped breaths and sobs were the girl in his arms.

"Oh, Remus," the woman said, hurrying up to him. He recognized her voice now.

"Alissa... McGonagall... Alissa." Those were the only words he could get out before he was pulled into a hug.

The woman shushed him and comforted him and the child in his arms as best as she could before gently leading them to the headmaster's office.

It was hard for the three adults to watch the memory they had taken from the five year old who was now sleeping on Dumbledore's couch, but it was necessary since she was unable to explain.

Once Remus was reassured that he should keep Lalia with him, he left the school thanking both of the professors vehemently and took her to his home.

Lying her down on the couch, Remus covered her in the first blanket he could find and stared desperately at the girl that was all he had left of two of his best friends. He was scared that she would disappear if he looked away from her, but that fear quickly changed to nervousness when she woke up and rubbed her eyes. Those big warm gray eyes she had gotten from her father stared at him pleadingly.

Remus snapped out of his thoughts when he felt the tiny arms reach around his neck. Lalia had climbed onto his couch and stood next to him on the cushion in hopes that a hug would help. Remus quickly enveloped her in his arms, reassuring her and himself that she was there with him.

"Lalia, why don't we go shopping tomorrow and get some things for your new room? How does that sound?"

"Bien," her small voice responded.

Remus smiled softly at the girl. Whenever she felt overwhelmed, she reverted back to Spanish. It was her first language and how she normally talked to her mother. He thanked Alissa for forcing him to learn enough go communicate with them during his visits thinking this trend might continue.