XIII.

The next morning, Lalia walked out of the tower with Morag and Sue right next to her. When they opened the door to leave the common room, they saw Ron leaning against the wall outside.

"Ron?" Lalia asked softly, confused by the boy's presence.

"Um, hey... I was wondering if I could eat with you today?" Ron seemed unsure of himself, but he glanced at Morag before focusing back on Lalia for her answer.

Lalia feeling bad for the things Harry had told Ron the night before, slowly nodded her head.

"Uh, yeah ... sure."

Lalia was slightly upset that she would't be eating with Harry, but it seemed Ron needed her today. What Lalia had assumed to be only one meal wound up being two days filled with Ron Weasley's presence everywhere. Lalia had caught glimpses of Harry during meals, but with Ron by her side at the Ravenclaw table, she decided it would be best to not bring the two together.

Monday was the first time Lalia spent time with Harry. Ron and Lalia had sat at a table with him in Divination, her obviously in the middle seat. They had briefly exchanged hellos before settling in for a awkward class.

When Professor Trelawney informed the class that those born in July were in great danger of sudden, violent deaths, there was a slight change in the atmosphere of the table.

"Well, that's good," said Harry loudly, his temper getting the better of him, "just as long as it's not drawn-out. I don't want to suffer."

Ron looked for a moment as though he was going to laugh; he certainly caught Harry's eye for the first time in days, but Harry was still feeling resentful towards Ron for any conversation to start between the two.

The table was silent for the rest of the lesson and before Lalia could talk to Harry, Ron was already urging her out of the classroom to eat dinner. Lalia looked back at Harry, making eye contact, before descending the ladder out of the classroom.

The next day, Lalia had left class quickly to sit at the Gryffindor table with Harry and Hermione, knowing they were moments away from the first task.

"You would not believe how much energy I had to exert to be able to see you right now," Lalia said, plopping down next to Harry at the table.

He smiled at the girl, who easily smiled back for the first time in days.

"So what's the plan?" Lalia whispered to the two.

Before Harry could respond, Professor McGonagall was hurrying over to him in the Great Hall. Lots of people were watching.

"Potter, the champions have to come down onto the grounds now ... . You have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," said Harry, standing up, his fork falling onto his plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione whispered. "You'll be fine!"

Lalia felt different as her throat closed and face paled.

"Yeah," said Harry in a voice that was most unlike his own.

"Be careful," Lalia said, staring deeply into his eyes.

Harry gulped before nodding at the girl and walking away.

---

Lalia was in the middle of Ron and Hermione along with their other friends. She maintained a death grip on Hermione's hand through all three of the champions before Harry. When the whistle blew and Harry walked out of the tent, Lalia stopped breathing and unconciously grabbed Ron, squeezing both his thigh and Hermione's hand so tightly, marks would be left.