XVI.

The announcement had been made by the head of houses and the air in the Great Hall was electric as people began making plans for the approaching Yule Ball. Lalia found herself excited at the prospect of a dance, but felt her mood deflate when Harry came to dinner ranting about how he had to find a dance partner and he had no clue who to ask.

Taking a deep breath, Lalia held in the stink eye she wanted to give the boy and let him complain to Ron while she talked to Hermione and Ginny. Controlling her anger only got harder through the week as Lalia had to endure Harry turning down multiple girls who asked him to the ball.

As the days dragged by and an invitation from Harry seemed no where in sights, Lalia became increasingly worried. That was until Hermione privately shared her Yule Ball date with her and Lalia made up her mind. She shouldn't wait around for a boy, who clearly wasn't considering her. She would ask someone she actually wanted to spend the evening with and someone she hoped would want to go with her.

Lalia entered the Great Hall to be bombarded by the bodies of Morag and Sue who immediately pulled her over to the Ravenclaw table.

"Terry Boot just asked Sue to the ball!" Morag whisper-screamed at the girl.

Lalia's jaw dropped as she excitedly began bouncing and hugging her friend.

"No way! No way! That's awesome, Sue, congratulations!"

While Lalia's mood had drastically improved for a few moments, her friends noticed the smile on her face drop as she watched Harry sit at the Gryffindor table.

"Just ask him!" Morag drawled out.

"Um, no. He already told us he's thinking about asking Cho and I am not going to be anyone's second choice. No, I'll ask my other first choice and I'll do it beautifully."

The girls rolled their eyes at her, but quickly started talking about what they were wearing for the ball. Lalia quickly joined in, ignoring the Gryffindor table and the boy at it, who kept glancing at her.

One day, Lalia had been walking through the corridors when the day she knew would come happened. She turned a corner to see Cho and Harry alone, realizing what was happening she quickly retreated behind the wall.

"Wangoballime?"

"Sorry?" said Cho.

"D'you - d'you want to go to the ball with me?" said Harry.

Feeling as if she was intruding, Lalia turned towards the Great Hall. She decided to pick up her forgotten quill another day, leaving the two alone in the halls. She had already asked her desired date and that was all that should matter to her.

Just three days before the corridor incident, Lalia had set up rose petals on her date's bed during dinner and waited in the common room until she had made her way up the stairs. Quietly, Lalia followed her, waiting as she saw the girl stop confused before slowly making her way to her bed. In the middle of the bed sat a note that read 'Will you be my date to the ball?'

Once Lalia knew she had read it, she entered the room and spoke up.

"Well, how's about it, Ginny? Will you?"

The red head glanced up quickly at the girl in the doorway before blushing furiously.

Lalia was wringing her hands in anticipation. Ginny flung herself into Lalia's arms.

"Yes!"

Two of Ginny's dormmates cheered for the girls before turning to give them privacy.

"Okay, but I have a good idea on what we should wear, so hear me out!" Lalia giggled, playfully.