Dogs and Horses

TW: Mentions of a big accident, being thrown off a horse, mention of injuries

Crutchie POV
"Ugh, I have to go." Elmer said, his tone emanating sadness. I frowned on and crawled over to where he was sitting.

"Aw. Well, I will see you tomorrow so," I quickly notes. Elmer nodded and went to pack his stuff up. I walked with him to the door and waved to his dad once he was picked up. I sighed and turned around only to immediately be faced with Rosie.

"Hey Crutchie!" She said cheerfully. She grabbed my arm and started practically dragging me towards the back of the house.

"Uh, hey Rosie. Where are we going?" I asked, with a slight note of fear.

"You are going to meet Redbeard! He is our dog, and we didn't want to bring him out during the meeting just because we didn't want it to be stressful or anything." Rosie explained. We got to a side door from the kitchen that led to a small garage. In the garage was a crate that held a medium sized dog who, like his name, had a redish brown coat. I immediately loved him.

Rosie walked over and opened the crate. Redbeard rushed out and ran towards me. He jumped at me and I managed to catch him without falling over. I cooed in his ear while petting him, as he sniffed around me and licked a bit of my face.

"He is so awesome!" I said with a smile, turning to Rosie.

"Yeah, and he seems to like you." She agreed. We spent some time in there, just playing with Redbeard and talking.

"We should probably get ready to sleep," I said while checking the time. Rosie and I walked back into the house with Redbeard weaving between our legs. Rosie and split off with a quick goodnight and I got ready for bed. I laid down on the bed, and closed my eyes, quickly being pulled down into the dark abyss of sleep.

~~~Crutchie's Dream~~~

I was sitting down on something firm but squishy. I looked down and saw a saddle, but I didn't feel any fear. Odd. I thought. Suddenly the horse cantered forward, and I was unable to stop it. The horse and I turned around in the ring, making a few laps. We also did some poles and easy jumps.

I wasn't controlling the horse, it was like it knew exactly what to do. I noticed a small group of people on the fence and recognized them as old friends of mine. Back before the- oh. No. The thought suddenly hit me.

The horse, who I now realized was Everest, turned the ring and sped up a little bit, and we neared a jump. Everest jumped over, and it would have been perfect. But then Everest tripped, only slightly, but it was enough. At the speed we were going at, I couldn't recover myself in time, and I was thrown out of the saddle.

I was suddenly in a third-person perspective, watching my younger self fly through the air. I watched as I crashed to the ground, as my leg bent in many different ways. As my eyes closed, not to be opened again for many days. The people on the fence rushed out to help me, and one went to calm down Everest.

Once she was calm, Everest walked over to where I was, whinnying and nudging me slightly. I missed Everest so much, and riding her. I wanted to ride her after the accident, but I was too scared. Soon an adult ran over to me, and the sounds of a siren were heard soon after.

~~~End of Crutchie's Dream~~~

I woke up in a cold sweat, and was mumbling to myself. After that day I had woken up in the hospital, apparently out for three days. My leg would never heal properly. And my mind wouldn't either. For months if I even saw a picture of a horse I would freak out, and ever since I had never had the courage to ride one. I knew that Everest would still be ridable by now, as she was young when I had first ridden her, but I still couldn't do it. I was too scared.