Silent Vow

TW: Use of deadnames, homphobia, transphobie (I am going to start referring to all of this stuff as 'Rules warnings' just so I don't have to keep writing it out)

Crutchie POV
I walked home as fast as I could after school, getting there in record time. I felt like I was either going to scream, burst into tears, or feel numb of all emotion. I walked in and started making my way to my room, when Rosie caught my arm.

"Hey, Crutchie, you okay?" She asked. I opened my mouth to say something, but the words became lodged in my throat. I just nodded, hoping she would buy it. She didn't, obviously.

"Crutch, what happened?"

"Can we talk about it in my room?" I asked, my voice sounding hoarse for some reason. Rosie nodded and we made our way up the stairs.

"What is it?" Rosie asked as we sat down on my bed.

"Pulitzer, our principal, created a new rule for the school." I started. Rosie looked slightly confused at this, probably because I hadn't gotten to the bad part yet. "He, uh. He basically said that there can be no same-sex relationships and people have to go by their birth name and pronouns."

Rosie's eyes widened. I had a small moment of panic, thinking she was mad and going to take it out on me, before I remembered that I was safe with her.

"I- what about you and Elmer?" She asked, finally.

"We are still dating, we just can't show it on school grounds." I explained, to which she nodded. "But I am mostly worried about my friends Romeo and Finch. They are both trans and have been through a lot to get to this point with names and pronouns, and I am scared this will make them go back to square one."

"True, gosh I wish you could come to my school." Rosie groaned. She went to an all-girls private school. She had gone to the World High, although I didn't know her then, but had moved schools after too many people harassed her after her coming out.

"Yeah, me too." I said with a slight laugh. We sat and talked for a while before splitting off.

~~~Time of the Skips~~~

The weather seemed very appropriate today. It was cloudy and misty, definitely something you would think of when someone in a movie is sad. I trudged through it and sat at our picnic table with the others. I had had the same nightmare again last night, and they were starting to affect me. I had started becoming more anxious when any friend left my sight, and was getting very jumpy.

Two symptoms of your anxiety that you THOUGHT you finally had under control. My mind snarled at me. I pushed the thought away and focused on the conversation at hand.

"-already been called Robin, like, three times." Finch sighed dejectedly.

"I don't really know what you are going through, but know you are always gonna be Finch to us. You too Romeo," Spot said. Finch and Romeo both nodded, a small smile appearing on their faces. The smiles immediately faded as we all saw the Delancy Brothers walking towards us.

I immediately shrunk down and looked away. None of the other guys knew about the whole 'beating me up thing', although the brothers were their main suspects of who put me in the hospital.

"Well hello Robin, Juliet, and friends!" Oscar said. A twisted smirk climbing up his face.

"Oh hello dumb and dumber," Race retorted. Morris growled at him and Race glared back. Before it could escalate any further, the bell rang. Saved by the bell. I joked to myself. The gang got up and shoved our way past the brothers. I made sure to stay near Spot, Jack, and Elmer when walking by them.

Our group split off and went to our other classes. I sat at my usual table with Davey, Elmer, and Jack. The teacher started calling out attendance for everyone in the class.

"Ryan Samuels?" Riley. It's Riley now. I chided, although I knew it wouldn't really help anyone.

"Here," It was weak and sounded very sad, and I knew exactly why. I will make you pay Pulitzer. Somehow I will. I am not going to let these stupid rules hurt anyone else. I vowed. I would keep that vow as long as I could.