A Walk

TW: Mention of punching, thing of dubious consent

Spot POV
I walked down the hallway, stopping as I reached my mother's room. She was passed-out (not actually passed out but like sleeping) on the bed, her scrubs still on. I walked in quietly, making sure not to wake her.

I un-clipped her ID tags and got her shoes off, before putting a pillow under her head and a blanket on her. I exited the room and closed the door before making my way to the kitchen. She had had a night-shift the day before, and it was a full moon. According to her, full moons always bring in more patients.

I ate a small breakfast before leaving the apartment. It was about 8:30 in the morning, so I had time before my meeting. Race and I had decided to meet up at the park today, just to hang out. I wish he were my boyfriend. My brain sighed.

I face-palmed at the thought, before continuing to the park. I walked in, waving to the park ranger person there. I came to this park a lot, so most of the workers knew me. I walked down the familiar path through the not-forest. Watching the tree's swaying and the animals going about their days calmed me. I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking, and soon ran into someone. Literally.

"Oh sorr- oh hey Spot!" The person, who I identified as Race, said. A smile appeared on his face as he realized it was me.

"Watch where you are going." I grumbled although I wasn't mad.

"I could say the same to you."

"Why are you so early?"

"Why are you?"

"Touché." I conceded. We got up and both continued to walk. We were silent for a little. Should I tell him? I asked myself. Knowing him, he would be chill about it, and I could punch him if he wasn't. I thought.

"So, uh, Spot." Race said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"There was something I wanted to talk about while we were here." He explained.

"Same." I answered involuntarily. I guess I have to tell him now.

"Okay I am just going to say it to get it over with. I like you. Romantically." Race said, stopping in the middle of the path. Upon hearing those words, I froze. He. Liked. Me. Back? I repeated.

"I-" I stuttered, trying to form a sentence. Race's face fell, and he took a small step back.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I' sorry if I make this awkward now an-" I cut him off quickly by slamming my lips into his. It took both of us a second to realize what was happening, but once we did we melted into the kiss. I suddenly pulled away.

"I'm sorry I should have asked for consent first! I just didn't want to to spiral or run away or anything." I quickly explained.

"It's okay. I was okay with that." Race said with a gentle smile.

"Good. Okay. I guess I should say that I do like you back." I laughed slightly.

"I could tell." Race said, putting on a signature smirk of his.

"So what does this mean for us?" I asked after a pause.

"I'm not sure if I am ready to declare use boyfriends or dating. Sorry if that screws everything up." Race replied, to which I shook my head.

"No, that is totally okay. We can maybe start dating when you are ready." I reassured. Race nodded, relief flooding his features. We decided to keep walking and talk about other things.

"How is your mom?" He asked at one point.

"She had a night shift last night, so she was super tired this morning." I answered. Race nodded with a slight grimace.

"Nurses are so awesome. I could never be one." He said with a shake of his head.

"Same." I agreed. We continued to walk and talk for another hour, before deciding to head back to our respective homes. I had a giant smile on my fave the entire walk back. My crush likes me back. We may not be dating, but that is enough for me.