30

jonah

jonah

flashback

"mr. frantzich, after carefully reviewing everything that you have told me... there's no way that i can confidently tell you that you have a chance at winning this case," my lawyer, josh owens, says.

"but i'll be talking on his behalf-"

"ms. dahl that's simply not enough. noah's mother could do the exact same thing. besides this will be happening in a mediators office, not in front of a court. they typically only look at the facts and hear from both sides, that's it," he explains.

i sigh, knowing that this entire thing was a mistake. i don't know why i did it in the first place. what was i thinking?

"i am sorry but in my professional opinion there is no reason for a judge to decide against the mother. i will do my best but the wisest thing to do here is reconcile with noah's mother. that is your best chance at keeping the time that you already have with him because... once the judge decides, it'll be up to whoever wins to allow the other to see noah," he advises.

tate scoffs, "you do this job for a living and that's the best you got?"

"tate stop," i snap at her.

she rolls her eyes and shrinks down in her seat stubbornly.

mr. owen's clears his throat, crossing his hands on his desk, "from what i have heard, the issues between you and emerson, is it? these issues can be easily fixed. think about your son and do what is best for him."

i stand and shake his hand, "thanks. i'll work on it."

he nods and wishes me well, "if you do fix things, call and let me know. it'd be in your best interest to not go through with the case hearing."

-

"this is ridiculous. she's a terrible mother! why can't they see that?"

tate has been on an annoying rant for the entire ride back to my house. i'm not quite sure what her deal is.

"she's a great mom to noah. i always knew that there was a good chance i wouldn't win," i shrug, pulling a bottle of beer from the fridge.