42

emerson

emerson

before he can kiss me, i come to my senses and pull back. my hand goes to rest on his chest to gently stop him,

"what are you doing?"

he blinks a few times, appearing to be shocked with his actions as well, "i-i don't know. shit, emerson i'm sorry. i haven't.. i haven't been myself lately and that- i'm not sure what that was," he apologizes as he stands from his chair and begins to pace around the room.

"hey dan, calm down. it's alright-"

"no it's not. jonah's gonna kill me," he shakes his head and runs his hands through his hair.

i watch his panicked movements, "nothing happened. so there's nothing for jonah to know."

"but i have to tell him. i mean i tried to kiss his girl.."

"i'm not his girl?" i answer back, my head tilted in confusion.

he makes a sound, sort of between a scoff and a laugh, "right. you might as well be. the guy's never stopped loving you and-"

"what?"

"and then there's franny. great," he mumbles, ignoring my question altogether.

i stand and march in front of him, placing my hands on his shoulders to stop his pacing. due to our height difference, it's a little difficult but i manage.

"what do you mean he never stopped loving me? he was with tate for two years and.. wait franny? i don't understand," i frown.

daniel sighs and sits back down, slouching in the chair, "please everyone knows that he never truly got over you. you can push feelings away but that doesn't mean they disappear. sure he liked tate or whatever but... she's not you," he pauses.

"oh."

"and franny and i are talking, well it's complicated, but i like her and now i've gone and fucked things up," he bites his lip and looks down.

"i didn't know that. wait y'all would be cute! sorry, i mean.. again nothing happened. maybe it was just in the moment? i don't know, but i'm sure she'd understand if you want to tell her," i shrug because i don't even know why he tried to kiss me.

he nods slowly, "you're right. i'm overreacting. i'm sorry again for.. you know."

"it's okay, but i should probably get going. noah will be wanting dinner soon so yeah. thanks again for helping with the song daniel."

he nods and waves me a goodbye as i leave.

yikes.

-

"how'd the song recording go?" jonah asks after we finish eating dinner and put noah to bed, the boy wanting to cuddle with charlie.

"it went okay. we finished a song."

"can i hear it?"

i nod before pulling up the file that daniel sent to me on my phone. i press play and watch jonah's expressions as he listens.

when the song ends, he smiles, "that's so good, em. when are you releasing it?"

"hopefully soon. i want to release at least three singles before i put out something more. maybe an ep or even an album if i'm allowed to," i explain.

"i'm really proud of you, you know," he says before walking closer to me.

"thanks jo. it means a lot."

he stops before me and just silently stands for a few seconds before sighing, "do you ever wonder what things would be like if we hadn't broken up?"

his question catches me off guard, "i have in the past. i used to think about it often. why?"

"... i miss us emerson."

"jonah-"

"- just hear me out. i've been staying here for a few weeks now and things have been so much better. i've felt like myself again and it's something i lost along the way. i lost sight of myself and who i truly am. but you make me so much better em, you bring out that part of me. the part that makes me feel at home."

"what are you saying exactly? what about tate?" i rush out a few questions that are at the front of my mind.

"tate and i broke up. officially, weeks ago. i just didn't really know how to bring it up and tell you," jonah says, "you were right about everything. she tried so hard to hide the truth but in the end she didn't approve of noah. it never would have worked."

"i.. i'm glad you know the truth now, at least," is the only thing i can say at the moment.

he sighs, "i should have taken your word in the first place and it would have saved so much time. would have prevented so many arguments. i just want to make it up to you now. emerson i want to try us again," he admits hesitantly.

my heart pounds and my hands start to shake from nerves, "i don't know what to say..."

he steps closer and takes my hands in his, "take all the time that you need. i understand this is a lot and it probably feels really sudden."

"y-yeah okay."

he leans down and places a kiss on my forehead before smiling slightly and walking in the other direction towards the bedroom he'd be taking tonight.

this day has been a literal roller coaster...

-

(a/n: heyyyyyy 😅 so... this story will probably be ending soon ❤️)