10

emerson

emerson

i flip the pancake over and then reach up to grab some plates from the cabinet. i curse under my breath, having to get on my tiptoes since i'm so short.

"need some help?" i hear jonah ask, his deep morning voice surprising me.

he reaches around me and grabs two plates and sets them down on the counter.

"thanks. goodmorning," i say as i continue to cook breakfast.

he sits down on one of the stools, "morning. did you sleep on the couch?"

i nod, fixing the plates and putting one in front of him.

"oh thank you. you didn't have to make me breakfast.."

"i usually make pancakes for noah so it's no problem," i shrug and sit across from him.

"you could have woke me up. i feel bad for taking your bed."

"don't. you both looked comfortable so i decided to leave you be."

he nods as he starts eating, "i was a little confused when i woke up," he laughs, "i put noah in his bed."

"that boy could sleep all day," i shake my head.

"his room looks different from last time," he states.

"yeah he begged for a change. we're not allowed to paint the room but we can hang up posters and stuff. did you see the glow in the dark stars?"

he smiles widely, "yeah. i also noticed the why don't we poster hanging up."

"oh yeah..." i respond quietly, moving the food around on my plate.

he tilts his head to the side, "where did he get it?"

"um.. i usually buy some of the magazines that you guys are in. he picked the poster out and asked me to hang it up."

"that's sweet of you."

we continue eating in silence. his phone starts to buzz repeatedly, vibrating on the counter.

he picks it up and his eyes go wide, "shit. okay i have to go. should i wake noah up and say goodbye or?"

"i'll just tell him you had to go. i'm sure we'll see you sometime this week."

"yeah of course, thanks. i had fun last night. i think we should do a movie night with the three of us once a month or something, if you'd be okay with that," he suggests nervously.

"definitely. just let me know when."

he grins, "i think it's about time to introduce noah to harry potter."

i laugh, "nice try. as much as i love harry potter, i think we need to wait a few more years."

he pouts playfully as he puts his plate in the sink, "i guessss. i'll see you later em."

"bye jo."

-