21

emerson

emerson

as i'm cooking dinner, my phone starts to ring with a facetime call from my mother.

i'm hesitant to answer it because i have a feeling as to why she's calling.

"hello?" i prop the phone up against the counter and continue cooking.

"am i doing this right? can you hear me?"

"yes mom," i roll my eyes with a laugh since i'm not in the view of the camera right now.

"okay good. emerson giada bailey, what is this i've heard about you and jonah?!" she screeches.

knew it.

"mom i've got it handled, don't worry."

"oh really? from what i've heard you certainly do not! what did you do?" she narrows her eyes at me.

"what do you mean 'what did i do'?"

"clearly you've done something to upset jonah. i've heard things," her tone is full of disappointment and i can't say i'm surprised.

i sigh, "of course you have. let me guess.. carrie?"

"actually it was timothy. what i want to know is what is going through that head of yours! you went to california for jonah! not to hoe around. and jack avery? you can't be serious."

i frown and step in line of the camera, "what is that even supposed to mean?"

"well for starters he is jonah's bandmate. that boy is trouble i tell you. didn't he leave his pregnant girlfriend or something?"

"you have no idea what you're talking about. no he never did that-"

she cuts me off, "he can't keep his own family together and now he's trying to destroy yours. you need to start thinking correctly instead of letting your hormones get in the way."

i scoff, "you have no right to say that about him. you don't even know him! besides everyone is overreacting. nothing happened."

"that's not what i heard-"

"you heard wrong."

she ignores everything i say, "is this man really worth it? think about noah, emerson! poor jonah is just looking out for his son. it's sad to see that you won't do the same."

"absolutely not. that's where i draw the line. you may be my mother but you have no right to question how i raise my son. i love him more than anything and no one, NO ONE, gets to say that i don't do everything i can to make sure he is happy. goodbye."

"emerson don't you dare-"

i hang the phone up and immediately drop to the kitchen floor. i bring my knees up to my chest and try my best not to breakdown completely.

everything is falling apart over nothing

and it's too much to handle.

-