38

emerson

emerson

"i'm surprised you were able to get him to eat all his vegetables. i could never get you to eat yours when you were younger," my mom states out of the blue as we sit at the table and eat dinner.

noah was next to me, jonah was across from me, and my mom was next to him.

"he likes them so.. guess i just got lucky," i shrug with little care of continuing a conversation with her.

"hmm okay. oh! i almost forgot. now what is this about you releasing a song?"

noah looks up from his plate and proudly says, "momma is a pretty singer like daddy!"

i laugh a little while my mom fakes a smile, ".. she sure is. it's an interesting song, i would say."

jonah quietly eats his food, making me wonder if he'll speak about the subject. we haven't talked about it since our argument because it would probably only start another one, and i have little time for that.

"it's my favorite," noah nods his head with a giggle before stuffing his face with mac and cheese.

yavonne turns her attention towards jonah, "what are your thoughts about all of this? you prepared to share the spotlight? i know i wouldn't be too thrilled."

mhm that's my mother all right. always stirring the pot.

jonah clears his throat, "well it definitely seems to be doing well. it's in the top 100 of all genres on itunes..." this surprises me because not only did i not know that my song made top 100, this also means that jonah was keeping up with it.

"really? that's surprising," she replies coldly.

i sigh, dropping my fork onto my plate, " can we not do this right now?" i ask pointedly, waving my hand over to noah who sits in his chair confused at the topic.

"sure. but all i'm saying is that the song is a little too personal, no?" she continues to pry.

"there's nothing wrong with that."

"isn't there? i've read things and people are only assuming stuff about you and jonah now-"

"alright that's enough. not here," jonah speaks, and that finally puts an end to the conversation.

once we're all finished with our food, i clean up a bit until noah comes in asking if we can have our disney night.

since quarantine we have had many of these, but i'm definitely not complaining. so he skips to my bedroom to wait while i grab a few snacks.

"i guess i'll be leaving for the hotel i'm staying at for the night," mom announces.

"k bye."

she sighs in annoyance, "okay then. i will be back tomorrow morning with noah's present."

though i'm curious as to what she got him, i don't bother asking because i'm ready for her to leave.

"alright. see you tomorrow then."

she nods and goes to tell jonah goodbye, but she pauses, "you may not agree with how i see things, but i will say that i am pleased to see you and jonah on better terms. i think that will be best for noah. it's clear the boy loves his parents.. and you two are better together than apart."

i sigh, not answering back but taking in what she says.

"just don't mess it up again. we'll talk about your music later."

aaaaannnnd there she goes.

thankfully jonah walks her to her rental car and she leaves. he joins me once he comes back inside.

"you alright?"

i bite my lip, various emotions hitting me, "that entire visit stressed me the hell out."

"i can tell. you're tense," he watches my face as he carefully walks over until he's standing behind me.

i turn my head slightly to see what he's doing but when he rests his hands on my shoulders i let out a little sigh.

he gently massages my shoulders, which is something he used to do all the time when we were dating. let's just say that my mother has always caused unnecessary stress in my life ever since i was a little girl. and jonah was once there through it all.

"is this okay?" he asks in a soft whisper.

i take in how close he is to me and i have to stop the chill that nearly runs down my spine. it slightly freaks me out so i quickly step away from him, his hands falling from my shoulders.

"mhm yeah, it's fine. but noah is waiting for me- us- umm he wants to watch disney so we should go do that and you know, yeah," i ramble awkwardly.

jonah lets out a quiet chuckle, "okay em. yeah, let's go join him then."

i bow my head and walk past him, but he shocks me again as he grabs my wrist gently to stop me.

"i know i was a jerk the other day about your song. but it's really beautiful, emerson. honestly i haven't stopped listening to it since it came out. i promise i'm trying to do better by you and that was clearly not the way to go about things. i should have just shared my concerns without making stupid demands and making you feel bad. it's obvious that you belong making music, especially if it all turns out like july. i'm sorry again, and i'm really proud of you," he apologizes.

"thanks jonah.. i understand now why you were so concerned.. i mean the comments reflect everything that you were worried about."

he shrugs, "doesn't matter. i have to get used to people talking and making assumptions.. it happens no matter what so i shouldn't have been so harsh about the song."

"well thanks for apologizing.. and i'm glad you kinda like the song, it means a lot," i smile softly at him.

"like is an understatement," he laughs before walking out of the room and down the hall to my bedroom where noah is.

i let out a huge breath, one that i've been holding since he placed his hands on my shoulders.

damn. okay pull yourself together emerson...

-