48

this is me trying

this is me trying

i've been having a hard time adjusting
i had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting
i didn't know if you'd care if i came back
i have a lot of regrets about that

i remember the moment you told me that you came back to our hometown for me, but i had no idea this entire time. maybe things would be different if i had known. because the truth is that i would care - i do care, a lot. i have regrets too, jo.

pulled the car off the road to the lookout
could've followed my fears all the way down
and maybe i don't quite know what to say
but i'm here in your doorway

you came to my house. i wish you had done more. i wouldn't have cared that you didn't know exactly what to say. it wouldn't have mattered because you showed up. but you left without speaking to me, following your fears instead of your heart. but i understand.

i just wanted you to know
that this is me trying

i just wanted you to know
that this is me trying

you said this to me not too long ago. i will admit that it means a lot to see you trying. you're adamant on making things right and you have. it means more than you will ever know.

they told me all of my cages were mental
so i got wasted like all my potential
and my words shoot to kill when i'm mad
i have a lot of regrets about that

i think back to old conversations, back when we were in high school. before you left for l.a. you felt so closed in - like life here in stillwater wasn't for you anymore. you told me your plans to do something bigger with your life and i supported you in it 100%. i never knew that eventually you'd end up leaving me. when i found out i was pregnant, i knew everything would change. i didn't realize how much. you were upset. so scared. we both said things we didn't mean. we tried to stay together until noah was born and then it just all fell apart. but we're okay now, right?

i was so ahead of the curve, the curve became a sphere
fell behind all my classmates and i ended up here
pourin' out my heart to a stranger
but i didn't pour the whiskey

you were so ahead in life and i was left behind to handle things on my own. i couldn't do it though, so i moved to l.a. to be with you. it was too late though.

i wish you had never met tate. i know that's probably harsh of me to say. but if you hadn't confided in her, a stranger, then we could have fixed things sooner. maybe.. i don't know.

i just wanted you to know
that this is me trying

i just wanted you to know
that this is me trying
at least I'm trying

i used your words against you a few weeks back to turn you down. 'this is me trying to make sure that we don't make anymore mistakes.' i know that hurt. i should have thought longer about it.. taken some more time. i'm sorry.

and it's hard to be at a party
when i feel like an open wound
it's hard to be anywhere these days
when all i want is you

the truth is it's hard. it's so damn hard to be without you. you're on my mind each and every day now, no matter where i go. hell we currently stay in the same house and it's a lot. i wish it was easier to tell you how i feel, but instead i'm writing this song because i'm too scared to admit that all i want is you.

you're a flashback in a film reel
on the one screen in my town

the flashbacks of us scare me. if we try, how do we know the same thing won't happen? i'm terrified to fail again with you, jonah.

and I just wanted you to know
that this is me trying
(maybe i don't quite know what to say)

i just wanted you to know
that this is me trying
at least i'm trying...

i don't quite know what to say either. so i wrote this song for you. for us. i'm still trying to process everything that is life right now. i hope you understand.

- emerson