3

emerson

emerson

after grabbing a bottle of water, i head outside to where everyone else currently is. the boys had all shown up already with the exception of jack.

corbyn brought christina who was very excited to see me. we've always gotten along well and whenever she's in l.a., she makes sure to come visit me and noah.

we caught up for a little before she went to join corbyn in the pool. things have been off between them lately so it's nice to see them working it out.

zach, daniel, and tate are also in the pool.

eben is grilling with some help from jonah.

"emie come join us!" daniel turns his attention to me, shaking his blonde hair to rid of some water.

i laugh, "i'm good! i don't have anything to wear."

this catches jonah's attention, "maybe tate has something you can borrow?"

i glance at tate who slightly glares at the suggestion.

she tilts her head, faking an innocent smile, "i honestly don't think i have anything that would fit her. i'm sorry emerson."

daniel and zach share a glance before they look at me.

i simply shrug, "it's cool."

jonah goes back to grilling, not paying any mind to the fact that his girlfriend basically just insulted me. she makes comments like that often but he never picks up on it.

"well i'll come join you then so you're not alone," daniel grins, grabbing a towel and quickly drying off before occupying the lounge chair next to me.

"you didn't have to do that," i tell him.

"i know. but i realized that i haven't gotten my emie hug yet," he pouts playfully.

i laugh and shake my head at the boy, but hug him nonetheless.

"how are you?" he asks in a low voice as he pulls back from the hug.

"i'm doing good. you?"

he shrugs, "still as single as ever. i've been working on a bunch of music for the next album though."

"that's good! you'll let me hear something?"

"oh definitely. how's your writing doing?"

"pretty good, it's a great job. i get to work from home and take care of noah so it's a win-win," i explain.

he hums, "that's nice but i meant your songwriting."

i give him a look, "daniel."

"c'mon emerson, we both know it's what you really enjoy. why not put yourself out there?"

i look down at my lap, "it's not for me. this music industry.. that's for jonah. and you, and the boys."

"but it could be you too."

i sigh and look over to where jonah is, his arms wrapped around tate as she giggles about something he says to her.

daniel follows my gaze, "look... all i'm saying is that if it's jonah you're worried about, he has no say in what you choose to do. you've already picked up your entire life and moved here for him. the least he can do is be happy for you and let you do what you love."

"i moved here for noah. it's impossible to co-parent from opposite sides of the country and i didn't want to put jonah or noah through that."

"i understand but what i said still applies. just think about it. i've heard your music and you're really good," he compliments.

"thanks daniel. it means a lot."

-