35

emerson

emerson

i'm standing in the kitchen, washing the dishes, as jonah walks into the room and stands with his back against the island.

i glance at him before grabbing a paper towel and drying my hands off.

"yes?"

he bites his lip gently, something he does sometimes when he's nervous to ask something, "you uh.. you've been spending time with daniel lately?"

"... yes."

he frowns, "why?"

"because we're friends."

"yeah but you didn't bother to tell me at first that you were hanging out with him, and now it's like a regular thing... does that not seem weird to you?" he asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

i can't help but laugh, "right... you're not jealous, are you?"

jonah scoffs and his cheeks turn red, "what? no i'm not jealous. i'm just curious. i mean first jack and now daniel?"

i slightly glare at him, "we're not doing this again."

he lets out a deep sigh, "you're right, i'm being an ass once again."

"yes you are. you should know i wouldn't do that to you."

"i do, but sometimes my mind wanders. i mean why else would you be so secretive about hanging out with him? especially when we're supposed to be quarantined. that's the only reason i've been staying here with you and-"

i cut his rant off, "he's been helping me with my music."

he stares at me for a minute before letting out a laugh, "sure, right."

"what's that supposed to mean?"

"c'mon em. you're not really the music type..."

"and what makes you think that? have you forgotten that i was in band in high school? and we literally performed a duet for the school's talent show jonah. it can't be that surprising," i shake my head at him while turning back around to dry some dishes.

"you've never mentioned anything about music. what exactly is he helping you with?"

"some song writing, mainly producing... i'm releasing a song," i say the last part quietly.

"huh? come again?"

"i'm releasing a song soon. i really love it and i think people will enjoy-"

"emerson, yeah that's not a good idea," he raises his eyebrows at me.

"and why not?"

he gives me a 'duh' look, "obviously fans will think the song is about me and it's just not a good situation for either of us."

"it's just a song..." once again my voice is quiet because i'm beginning to feel defeated. i knew he wouldn't react well to me wanting to pursue music, but i never thought he'd straight up tell me it's a horrible idea.

"let me hear it then. if it's just a song, what's it about?"

i don't answer him, which only tells him what he needs to know.

"is it about me? us?"

"no, not exactly.."

"you can't release it."

"excuse me?"

he sighs, "look i don't wanna fight. we both know it's a bad idea. i'm sure you understand.."

"then let it be a bad idea. i worked hard on this and i'm not going to let you tell me what i can and cannot do. i'm releasing the song.. end of discussion," i finish the conversation, putting the dish in my hand away before marching off to my bedroom.

-

(a/n: sorry for not updating... it's been a crazy semester of college for me 😅😓 and i'm kind of stuck on where i want this story to go)