12

emerson

emerson

once again i find myself at jonah's place, only this time it's the weekend and i'm dropping noah off.

i've been waiting at the door for minutes now. my arms are getting tired and i'm very confused as to why no one has answered yet.

noah is asleep in my arms and i'm also carrying his heavy bag. i let him bring more toys than usual and now i'm regretting that decision.

i sigh, shifting my weight to one foot, bringing the other to kick on the door again.

this time someone finally answers.

"oh emerson hey. um..." corbyn greets awkwardly as he peeks his head back inside the house for a second.

"is something wrong?" i question.

"well no, not really. i mean..." he trails off and i frown, starting to feel frustrated. not at him but at the long wait.

"okay so can i come in?"

"s-sure, but i think maybe you should-"

he stops as i make my way into the house. i drop the bag on the floor to release some of the weight i'm carrying. glancing around the room, i notice the lack of people.

i turn to corbyn, "jonah's not here?"

"oh he is. he's in the backyard with eben, tate, and some of their friends..."

as i take this information in, my eyes trail to the kitchen and i see multiple empty alcohol bottles.

"i see.."

"i think he may have forgotten that it's friday or something," the boy tells me as he rubs the back of his head nervously.

"right. okay i'm actually just going to take noah back home. will you let jonah know?" i struggle to bend down and grab the bag from the floor.

"emie i don't mind watching him until jonah sobers up."

i smile politely at him, "i appreciate that but it's not your responsibility. and i'm not really comfortable leaving him here with a bunch of random drunk people, no offense."

"no i get it. i'm sorry about this."

"don't be. i'll see you later, corbyn."

"bye em."

-