22

emerson

emerson

"knock knock, open up! it's freezing out here," i hear my best friend shout from the other side of the door.

i get up from my position on the floor and quickly rush to open the door.

i immediately wrap my arms around her and she does the same.

"hayley, thank God you're here."

"oh no. what's wrong? you're crying?" she frowns, rubbing my back.

we separate and i close the door behind us, "just a mini mental breakdown. i'm okay."

"no you're not, but you don't need to worry. we're going to make sure you win this okay?"

i sigh, "i'm so tired of catering to him. i gave my whole life up for him, you know?"

"i know emmy. have you called about getting a lawyer?" she questions.

"no. um... i have to do that. it'll be a legal aid lawyer because i can only afford small fees. i don't know if it's going to be good enough," i look down at the floor, lost in my worrisome thoughts.

"don't think like that. there are some good public lawyers out here, and you have so much more going for you than jonah does. trust," she tries to assure me.

i just shrug sadly, "i just wish this wasn't happening. it came out of nowhere and it's driving me insane."

"i know but maybe this is what you need. if you win, you can come home and you'll be so much happier em."

"that's true.. i don't see how i could stay here after this."

she smiles softly, "how did your family take the news?"

i roll my eyes as the conversation with my mother comes to mind, "take a guess."

"i'm guessing mrs. yavonne sided with good ole perfect jonah?"

"mhm. she called her own daughter a hoe," i laugh bitterly, "i'm over it. i ended the facetime so fast once she said i wasn't doing what's best for noah. i'm so tired of everyone saying that i don't do everything i can for my boy. i love him more than anything a-and.. and now i might lose him," tears fill my eyes again but i bite my lip to keep myself together.

she sighs, "i'm so sorry hun. you don't deserve this at all."

"and it doesn't make sense! i could understand maybe if i was actually guilty of doing what they're accusing me of, but i've literally done nothing!"

"maybe you should," hayley jokes.

i shake my head, "no. jack is like.. a really good friend. i'd never go there."

"well i mean he's cute."

"yes he is but still."

she laughs, "at least you admit it. what about daniel then? didn't the asshole accuse you of being with daniel too?"

"yeap. just listen to how crazy this all sounds."

"exactly, that's what i'm saying emmy. a judge will never side with jonah. it just won't happen. and you know.. maybe you can ask jack or daniel to testify on your behalf? if they tell a judge that nothing ever happened or whatever, it could help," she suggests.

"i can't ask them to do that. they are jonah's bandmates after all and that would cause too much tension between them."

"yeah true. look whatever happens, i'm here for you okay? i'm not going anywhere until this all clears up," she tells me.

"wait you're staying in l.a.?"

"mhm i'm gonna get a hotel or-"

"absolutely not. you can stay here," i offer and she accepts after a bit of convincing.

we catch up on things in her life, thankfully distracting me from my problems.

"momma i'm hungr- auntie hayley!" noah runs over and jumps onto hayley's lap.

she laughs and hugs him tightly before tickling him, "my favorite lil man! i missed you so much."

i'm thankful to have at least one person on my side as i go through this.

-