9

emerson

emerson

"mommy someone's at the door!" my three year old yells before disappearing into his room to play.

i put down the folded laundry and make my way to the door. when i open it, i'm met with jonah.

"hey..." he greets awkwardly.

"oh hey? you're back?"

"yeah got back late last night. i would have called but i decided to drop by instead."

"okay," i step to the side and let him in.

"where's noah?" he asks, taking a look around the apartment.

"in his room. i told him to go play until i finish folding clothes. we're going to watch Up," i tell him as i start folding again.

"Up?"

i glance at him unsure. i know he's seen the movie because we watched it together when it first came out, "the pixar movie."

"oh."

"it's one of his favorites," honestly my kid is a huge disney fanatic and he most likely got that from me.

"can i stay and watch it with you guys?"

i'm surprised at the question but nod anyway, "well i'm sure he'd like that."

"thanks. i just feel bad about leaving him and everything. we made a promise when we made this schedule to try our best to stick to it," he sighs.

"jonah it's fine. this is the first time you've had to cut your weekend short."

"i talked to tate by the way. i told her that it's time to tell her parents, soon at least. she understood," he informs me hesitantly.

"oh that's good! do you think they'll want to meet him?" i'm sure how the whole thing would happen. it's an uncomfortable topic/situation but it's whatever.

he shrugs, "maybe. hopefully."

-

soon enough we're all gathered in my room where the big tv is. noah is cuddled up to jonah and the movie just started.

after 20 minutes or so, noah turns to me, "can i get more juice?"

i grab his empty cup, "yeah i'll get it bud."

he turns his attention back to the screen and i get up from the bed and walk to the kitchen.

noah's favorite drink happens to be apple juice. daniel actually got him addicted; when we first moved to l.a. he would pretend to not know that noah was stealing his juice boxes from the boys' fridge. good memories.

i finish filling the cup and carefully head back to the bedroom. i stop outside the door once i hear the three year old asking jonah questions.

"are you and mommy going to get old like them?"

jonah chuckles, "everyone gets old noah."

"i meant together, like ellie and him?"

a part of me deep down wants to hear jonah's answer, so i stay back a moment longer. i kind of feel bad for leaving him to tend to the awkward question.

after a long pause, jonah answers him, "maybe someday buddy."

i take a deep breath before entering the room a minute later, "and here is your apple juice."

i pass it to jonah for him to hold since noah is still laying on him. i crawl back onto my side, keeping a good enough distance.

we eventually finish the movie and the two of them start watching cars.

"i'm going to take a quick shower. is that okay?" i ask jonah.

he nods without looking up. i gather my things before going into the bathroom and getting ready for bed.

i finish 30 minutes later and go back into my bedroom to find jonah fast asleep with noah passed out on his chest.

after contemplating what to do, i decide to leave them be. i cover them with a blanket and grab noah's cup. i also grab a pillow before leaving the room and finding my spot on the couch in the living room.

i stay up staring at the ceiling, thinking about random stuff until finally i fall asleep.

-