39

emerson

emerson

the next morning my mom rings the doorbell bright and early, waking everyone in the house up. and when i say bright and early i mean 5 in the morning.

let's just say i'm not too thrilled at the moment.

nevertheless, when i open the door i'm very suspicious because she has a huge box set down behind her and a huge grin on her face.

"i'm here with noah's present! is he up?"

"... he is now," i answer as i hold the door open wide for her to bring the box in.

"what's that?" jonah asks as he enters the room with noah in his arms.

"present! is it for me?" noah squirms in jonah's arms to be let down so he can run over and inspect the box.

"it sure is. come here so we can open it," my mom tells him and noah runs into her arms, both of them facing the box.

jonah comes and stands next to me, "so.. do you have any idea what it is?"

i shake my head, "nope."

my eyebrows raise in curiosity when some scratching noises come from inside the box.

"oh no."

"oh yes!" my mom replies, "ready? open it in one.. two.. three, go!"

noah hurriedly rips the lid off the box and a bark is heard throughout the living room.

"it's a puppy!" noah yells in excitement, "mama, dad look!"

"i see.. wow. that's some.. present, yavonne," jonah says hesitantly as he walks over and looks at the dog in the box.

"can you get it out, please dad? i wanna play with it," noah asks and jonah does so.

"i figured all little boys should have a dog to grow with and to love. it will also teach responsibility, which i'm sure you'll enjoy having the help with. isn't he cute? his name is charlie," my mom explains with the same big smile on her face.

i sigh, now feeling a headache coming on, "i would have appreciated if you had talked to me about it first. this is... a lot."

"are you saying you don't appreciate my gift for my grandson?" she asks, clearly offended.

"all i'm saying is that you can't just do things like this without asking me first, mom."

"you're always complaining about something. be more grateful. i taught you better emerson."

"mama come play with us!"

i ignore my mother and walk over to where noah and jonah are playing with the puppy.

"he's really adorable, em," jonah states, already seeming to have fallen in love with the cute animal.

noah's entire face is lit up, and honestly if it makes him this happy then it's whatever. it's not like we don't have the means to take care of a dog.

"yeah he is," i smile as i pet charlie.

"best birthday ever!"

-

(a/n: i know i said i'd be updating more often 💀 i'm sorry it's been a minute.)