2

emerson

emerson

i exit the car and get noah out from his car seat. it's friday afternoon which means he is staying with his father for the weekend.

noah usually sees him multiple times throughout the week, but he stays with me at my apartment. i've been saving to finally get us a house close to where jonah lives with his bandmate corbyn, corbyn's brother, and their friend eben.

but for now our two bedroom apartment will have to do.

noah fell asleep during the car ride so i carefully lift him up and lay his head on my shoulder. i then grab his bag of stuff before heading to the front door. i ring the doorbell and wait.

"coming!" i hear a female voice shout.

the door flies open and a scowl is placed on the fake blondes face, "oh it's you."

"nice to see you too, tatum. can i come in? this bag is really heavy."

she rolls her eyes and walks off, leaving me to struggle carrying everything and to shut the door behind me.

"j your son is here," she calls out before sliding out the back door to where the pool is.

i hear footsteps coming down the stairs and jonah appears from around the corner. he slows down once he sees the sleeping boy in my arms.

"here let me take the bag," he grabs it as we walk back upstairs to where he has noah's room set up. i wait as jonah unlatches the safety gate at the top of the stairs, and then follow him into the room.

i gently lie noah down on his toy story bed.

"how long has he been out?" jonah whispers as he tucks him in.

"thirty minutes or so. you know how tired he gets after he eats dinner."

he nods, "he should be out for a while then, right?"

"mhm."

we're met with an awkward silence. eventually we exit the room and he closes the door softly.

"well okay then, i'm gonna get going," i send him a smile before heading towards the stairs.

"em wait. do you want to stay for a bit? eben plans on grilling some food and the boys are coming over."

it's clear that he is only asking to be polite, or at least that's what i think, "oh i had dinner not too long ago-"

"then stay for the hell of it? i know you don't have many friends here, and i still feel guilty for asking you to leave everything behind for l.a. you should stay."

his big puppy dog eyes stare down at me and i find myself giving in, though i'd probably soon regret it.

"okay, yeah sure."

he grins at me as we make our way downstairs.

-