Part 2 | Chapter 3

Y/N

I sat in my room watching the news as I waited for Nat to get out the shower. Every news channel was talking about the accident in Lagos, saying how the avengers were dangerous, or that Wanda was a threat to the world. It was all bullshit. We were protecting them all and it was an accident, we didn't plan on blowing up the building. Yes, it was tragic, but mistakes happen. I continued listening, before someone turned the TV off.

"You were there, I don't think you'll want to hear their opinions." I turned around to look at nat who gave me a small smile.

"They think we are dangerous." I point to the TV and look down at my hands.

"They think Wanda is a threat." I add on as Natasha comes and sits beside me, still wrapped up in her towel.

"We know she isn't. You don't have to worry. How is wanda, anyway?" Natasha asked taking my hand in hers.

"Not good, she's pretty shaken. I don't know how long it will take for her to get over this." I reply honestly, looking up at my girlfriend.

"Well at least she has you to help her." Nat gives me a small smile which i return.

"I should um probably get in the shower." I pick up my towel and get in the shower. I then put on some fresh clothes and made my way back into the room.

"All i need is a good nap now." I sigh and lay beside Nat.

"Not yet, look at your arm." She grabs my arm and pulls the first aid box from the bottom of our bed side table.

"It's fine, nat. Just a small cut." I try to tell her but she ignores me and begins cleaning the wound.

"It needs stitches." She explains as she stitches up my arm.

"At least i look like a badass now, i guess." I jokingly sigh as she finishes up.

"Mhm yep." Natasha smiles at me before giving me a kiss.

"Hey guys," Sam knocks on our door.

"Tony's here and he's brought a guest." He explains to us, i give natasha a confused look.

"Who's the guest?" I ask, heading out with sam and nat.

"The secretary of state, Secretary Ross." Sam bluntly tells me, not sounding happy about it.

"Great." I reply sarcastically. Secretary Ross hates me because i was involved with Hydra, I hate him as he doesn't trust me and doesn't think i can do good.

We arrive at the meeting room and I take a seat at the end of the table. I give wanda a small smile as she looks over to me. She still looks upset.

"Five years ago..." Secretary Ross began, I could already tell this was going to be long and end in something bad.

"I had a heart attack, and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army never taught me." I rolled my eyes at his story yet listened carefully. I glanced over to steve who didn't look to happy about this meeting and was glad he felt the same way I did.

"Perspective" the secretary continued, I looked over to Tony who sat in the corner of the room. He glanced at me quickly before looking back at the man at the front. I could tell he was anxious about something.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as hero's, there are some, who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." I scoffed at his last sentence, earning a glare from him.

"What word would you use, Mr secretary?" Natasha questioned him a hint of sarcasm in her tone causing me to smirk a little.

"How about 'dangerous'?" he quickly answered. Natasha sat back in her seat, and I furrowed my eyebrows slightly.

"What would you call a group of  US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" he rhetorically asks us. Was he being serious? Of course we are concerned about what happens when we leave, he should have seen wanda earlier and we only ignore borders if there is an emergency. There could be worse reasons.

The man stepped to the side as the screen behind him turned on, revealing a map. At first it showed the events at new york and the destruction the avengers caused. Then it moved on to washington dc and showed videos of buildings collapsing and jets falling into the ground. Everyone bowed their heads unable to look at all the damage. Next it showed sokovia, the country in the air and robots flying around everywhere. I could see it hurt wanda to watch as it was her home. Finally, Lagos, the building exploding, people running away, and a young girl laying on the floor her eyes looking directly at the camera, clearly dead. This hurt us all to look at, especially wanda as she was still emotional.

"That's enough." I tell the secretary, seeing it hard for Wanda to watch. However, Mr secretary ignored me as he didn't respect me, causing steve to speak up,

"She said that's enough." it upset me that steve had to repeat what I said to get Secretary Ross to turn it off.

"For the past four years, you have operated with unlimited power and no supervision." Mr secretary continued.

"That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate." I look over to nat in disbelief but she lightly shakes her head, telling me not to say anything.

"But i think we have a solution." The secretary turns to his assistant who hands him a massive pile of paper. Secretary Ross places it on the table in front of wanda who read the front.

"The sokovia accords." Mr secretary informs us all on what it is. He couldn't be serious.

"Approved by 117 countries. It states that the avengers shall no longer be a private organisation." Wanda passes the accords to everyone so we could look at it. Secretary Ross paces around the table and i give him a dirty look when he walks beside me.

"Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the united nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." I take the accords from vision and look at it in disbelief. So he wants a group of people to control us? To choose what we do, when we do it and not know what it is we go through?

"The avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve informs him. I agree with steve but try my best not to voice it.

"Tell me, captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" the Secretary questions steve, knowing he doesn't know the answer.

"If i misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences." he states before heading back to the front of the room.

"Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." I wanted to throw the accords right at his head but I managed to stop myself. I passed the accords down to steve and natasha. They both looked at it, not looking to happy about it and passed it back to rhodey.

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey states as he looks at the accords.

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords." Secretary Ross informs us. I looked over to Tony, annoyed. All these people are willing to hand us over to the government and there wasn't much we could do about it.

"Talk it over." Mr secretary added before getting ready to leave.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha questions. I looked over to her, trying to see if i could tell what she felt about all this, but she was hard to read.

"Then you retire." The man replied simply. Of course. Either way it was shit. If we signed the Accords, we will be controlled by the government. If we don't, we end it all and retire. Where was the good option in all this?

Secretary Ross left the building. Leaving us all in the room in silence, looking at the table, or the accords. Tension filled the room as we all sat there.

"Guess we need to have a discussion." Vision says, breaking the silence.