Chapter 3: Team Natsu Goes on a Job!

"I can't believe all of you guys forgot about me! You just left me in the guild!" Natsu pouted, annoyance clear in his voice. "Seriously, you guys... that's just messed up." He continued, stomping his feet as he led the group towards the train station, taking a path where they could stop by Lucy's apartment. Hearing him like this, Wendy felt tears welling up in her eyes. The idea of Natsu hating her was something she absolutely did not want. What if he starts hating me?

She had been repeatedly apologizing to Natsu for forgetting about him and leaving him behind. She was incredibly disappointed at herself. She had been saying "I'm sorry" for the tenth time or so since she and Natsu left the guild. Her face hurt from all the crying, becoming puffy with her eyes appearing red. She softly cried "I'm sorry" one more time.

"Stop blaming yourself, child." Carla said.

Natsu looked over his shoulder, noticing Wendy's puffy face. He slowed down his pace to match hers, walking side-by-side with her.

"Ah, come on, Wendy..." He said softly and gently put his arm around her. "Please don't cry. You have nothing to blame yourself for." Natsu reassured her.

Feeling the warmth of his hand, Wendy nuzzled against it.

"What are you sorry for? You came back to get me, and you even healed me, didn't you?" Natsu cheerfully said and grinned at her. Wendy could only nod, her crying slowly coming to a halt.

"A smile suits you better." Using his free hand, Natsu pushed his lips upward into a smile with his index finger and thumb. "Come on now, let me see that smile." Natsu gave her the brightest smile he could give.

Wendy couldn't help but giggle at his goofy smile. She wiped some of her tears and pushed her lips into a smile with her two hands, returning it to Natsu.

"There! That's the Wendy I know and love!" Natsu gently patted her head, spreading warmth over her body.

Wendy's heart stopped a bit upon hearing that. She knew he meant it as family, but it still sent blood rushing to her cheeks. She was unable to stop smiling. Their interaction received a curious glance from Carla and Erza.

"T-thank you, Natsu." She finished wiping the rest of her tears, calming herself down.

"Besides, if there's someone here to blame, it's her!" Much to Wendy's disappointment, Natsu removed his hand from her head, and pointed at Erza, glaring at her back.

"Hey now, I didn't hit you that hard." Erza replied, still looking forward.

"Yeah, right. You definitely didn't." Gray muttered sarcastically under his breath, rubbing his head. He was also an unfortunate victim of Erza.

"Did you say something, Gray?" Erza turned towards Gray, smiling dangerously.

"N-no, I didn't say anything." Gray quickly turned his head the other way, not wanting to face her wrath.

"Besides, Natsu, you should have known we would be in a hurry. If you don't want to be left behind again, don't fall asleep next time." Erza said it as if it didn't concern her.

"I wouldn't have been sleeping if you didn't slam my face into the ground!" Natsu scoffed at her, crossing his arms.

"You do realize there's a difference between getting knocked out and sleeping, right?" Gray said with a smirk, trying to provoke Natsu.

"Why, you little..." Natsu was about to confront Gray, but Wendy tugged his sleeve.

"H-hey guys, why don't we talk about something else?" Wendy asked timidly, hoping to diffuse the tension between the rivals. She didn't want Natsu and Gray to fight again.