Chapter 16: Our Fairy Night, Part 2

It was the beginning of the Fairy Night.

"Ah... it's time." Erza whispered.

Jellal cleared his throat. "Erza." He stood in front of her, his cheeks dyed a faint red.

"Yes, Jellal?" Erza turned to him, holding her breath in anticipation.

"May I have the honor of dancing with you?" He offered his left hand.

Erza glanced at his hand and placed her palm on it. "It would be my pleasure."

Jellal gently escorted her to the dance floor. Jellal put his free hand above her waist, while Erza puts hers around his shoulder. They held hands, and affectionally gazed at each other's eyes as they moved across the dance floor.

The two remained in silence, enjoying each other's company for a while.

"It's really nice, getting to spend time like this. Don't you think?" Erza said softly.

"I must agree, Erza. It's... a pleasant change of pace from the life I was used to." Jellal chuckled.

"Why not atone for your sins by dancing your heart away?" She said in a joking manner.

He cracked a smile. "Haha. I'm doing that right now, aren't I?"

Erza hummed in approval. She gazed at his dark eyes, as if she could find herself lost in them.

"Thank you, Erza." Jellal said softly.

"What for?"

"For giving meaning to my life."

Erza's eyes widened. "Y-You know I didn't do anything that great..."

"That's not true." Jellal said in a serious tone. "I'm grateful to you. I've always used to think that I didn't deserve to live... because of the acts I've committed in the past."

"I see... how do you think about it now?"

"... I've learnt I shouldn't beat myself over every failure I make."

Erza's cheeks rose in heat. There were so many words she wanted to say to him, so many feelings she wanted to convey to him.

"Thanks to you," Jellal gently brought his forehead to hers. "I've been given a chance to love freely again."

"Jellal..." Erza felt a calming warmth spread to her face, accompanied by the warmth of her cheeks.

Jellal glanced at her lips, observing how it was glistening under the dim light. He quickly averted his gaze away. Right now, he didn't feel he deserved to take that step forward in their relationship. At least, not yet. Being able to spend time like this with Erza... that was more than he could have hoped for.

One day, he won't feel the need to hide behind the excuse of a fiancée.

...

..

.

Gray put on back his suit, dusting himself off from his fight with Lyon. Apparently, Sherria had dragged Lyon away from them, so this gave him a peace of mind.

"Gray..." Juvia called him, looking at him expectantly. She clasped her hands together nervously.

"Ah..." Gray looked towards the ceiling. It seems it's finally begun. He tidied up his tie and faced her. "Juv-"

"You were pretty cool when you said, 'She's mine'." Juvia imitated what Gray said to Lyon before in an exaggerated fashion.

Gray's face flushed a deep red. He said that in the heat of the moment, consumed by a fit of jealousy. He shook his head and cleared his throat. "Juvia."