Chapter 21: Hear me out.

"Let's go on a date."

"Huh...?" Lucy blinked a few times. "A... date?"

"Yeah!"

"... You and me?" Lucy pointed at herself. "Wait, are you... asking me out on a date?"

"Yeah! You told me before we go on dates with people we love romantically!" Natsu grinned.

"... Heh?!" Lucy jumped a few steps backwards, surprised by his sudden invitation. "Is this from the book, again?" I mean I did say that...

"Ahah, yeah." Natsu ruffled his hair. "But Lucy... I'd love to spend some time with you and get to know your feelings better."

"Mhmm..." Lucy averted her gaze and covered her mouth, visibly flustered. But... it makes me really happy.

"Well... that makes things easier." Gray said, overhearing their conversation. "Them going on a date is perfect."

"Nice one, Natsu!" Juvia gave him a thumbs up.

"Aye! That's wonderful!" Happy exclaimed.

Having heard Natsu's and Lucy's conversation, Wendy pressed her hands against the table and stood up.

"Wendy? Where are you going?" Carla asked.

"... I'm going to the restroom." Wendy left for the restroom in a quick manner.

---

Wendy entered the restroom and shut the door behind her. She went to one of the sinks, observing herself in the mirror. They're going on a date... Wendy couldn't hold back her jealousy. She despised this feeling. What was she going to do? Natsu was doing this for the sake of understanding Lucy better. There was nothing wrong with that but... if he has feelings for Lucy... she felt her heart constricted at the thought.

When she hung out with Natsu, she saw it as a date with him. She was happy to hear he felt the same about it. But right now, Natsu would be going on an actual date with Lucy. A real date.

I can't get used to this... it was painful to the point she wanted to cry. To let out her emotions. Having to see two of her close friends get together... I can't do thi-

Two arms gently hugged her from behind, causing her to turn her head around.

"Erza..." Wendy said weakly.

Erza simply smiled. She knew something was up when she noticed Wendy go to the restroom quickly.

"It's okay to cry, Wendy." Erza gently squeezed her. "Take your time."

Wendy shook her head, rubbing her tears with her arms. "I... won't cry. I need to be strong."

"Mhmm..." I hope she's not pushing herself. Erza thought. "Do you want to join on the mission, Wendy?"

"I..."

"It's okay if you don't want to go, Wendy. I'll let the others know." Erza said softly. She didn't want Wendy to go on the mission if she truly didn't want to. After witnessing Natsu and Lucy like this, Erza imagined Wendy would probably need some time for herself.

"It's fine... I'll go." Wendy straightened her resolve. "Don't worry about it."

"I see." Erza nodded, then patted her head. If that's her decision, I'll respect it. "We're not going to be leaving immediately, so perhaps you can spend some time with Natsu before we depart."

"... I'll think about it." Wendy sighed.

---

A while later...